Pecan scab ratings

I don’t know how the scab is going to be this year, but I noticed that a 1" limb was split and was hanging down on Sumner tree. Cut it off today even though it had some 1/4" nutlets.

It’s got me thinking about when I should start watering. Has been a little of a dry spell here. It was raining every 3-5 days.

My supposedly Cape Fear tree finally budded out and looks fine, it was just super late.

I wouldn’t think that pecan trees would be under much stress right now, but this has been an unusual year. How are your pecan trees doing and when do you recommend watering?

Pecan trees tend to put down a tap root that can go 50 to 60 feet deep if the soil permits. They are still not very drought tolerant. However, we had so much rain over the last 2 months that soil moisture is still very high. If no rain in the next 2 weeks, then consider watering. Also, pecan is most sensitive to water shortage in August and September. That is when it is filling nuts.

1 Like

@Fusion_power Any idea what the scab susceptibility is for Fisher pecan?

I don’t have any information on Fisher’s scab resistance. Based on origin, I would expect it to be moderately resistant. A lot depends on where grown. Lots of pecans are scab tolerant in zone 5 where they are susceptible in the deep south.

1 Like

I kept noticing pecan seedlings in my yard and wondered where the parent trees were….I learned too late and my neighbors cut one of their massive pecans down because they didnt want to pick them up😞 they still have one tree but no nuts.

Any updates on your scab ratings chart?

Not that would change any variety decisions.

Adams #5 and Amling have almost no scab

Avalon, Florence, Gafford, Major, and McMillan are very resistant but can get some in wet conditions

Davis, Greenriver, Kanza, Lakota, Elliott, and many others are mostly resistant.

If I were in your location and looking for pecan trees, Adams #5, Amling, Avalon, Gafford, and McMillan would be at the top of my list.

Any comments about Hirschi? I got Hirschi and Kanza about 25 years ago from John Brittain. I am a little unsure which is which now, but the one I think is Hirschi is plagued by scab. It also is troubled by weevils, which seems strange in SE Pennsylvania. The Hirschi tree now seems basically useless for a crop, only good for pollinating Kanza, which happily seems pretty much untouched by either scab or weevils. I’ve been wondering if there is a way to treat the assumed Hirschi so it gives a useful crop again.

Hirschi is so scab susceptible that I will never grow it. A full season fungicide spray would keep nuts healthy.

1 Like