Pecan

The best i can rember when I bought 6 trees from tyty nursery 3, northern Jack 3,
with the name Missouri or something like that . Gave a few to friend i got 2 left the reason I would like to know is I planted 10 ish years ago.1 tree is 40 foot tall started to get pecans 3 years ago the nut is small not sure if it will get bigger with age.ok the other tree never really grew very good so I dug it up moved it about 4 years ago sti l never grew the i pruned it to stimulate growth that helped a butt now 15 20 feet tall I considered cutting it down or letting it grow few more years and using to smoke meat with .well I was out looking at it other and dang it had cluster of 3 huge pecans on it nice ones did not find any more yet so I would like to know what I have Can I plant the 3 pecan that are on the tree if so when or do I graft thanks all sorry for my bad thanks again punctuation.

1 Like

This is a 10 year old webpage for tyty. The Nursery at TyTy: Pecan Trees

This is just my opinion, but I will never do business with tyty nursery. They did something very unethical to a guy I know. As in deal breaker unethical.

1 Like

Yes I have seen that long ago after I bought them never again well found 3 more big one On this tree in ? And 2 small ones glad I did not cut it down it was like looking for mushrooms looked 45 min to find other 3 lol anyway hope someone can help with above ? Thanks

The hybrids are pulling ahead. While they germinated up to a month late, the hican hybrids are now up to a foot taller than any of the other seedlings. I donā€™t know for sure the genetics of this hican. I suspect it is a water hickory X pecan hybrid. The nuts are small, flattened, and have relatively thin shells. I planted about 25 of them just to see what would happen. About 20 germinated with half a dozen of them now the tallest trees in the greenhouse with several of them 3 feet tall or more. This is not all good news. The stems of these seedlings are distinctly softer and more pliable than the pecan seedlings. I plan to hold onto several of these to set out on my land in a low area that tends toward occasional flooding.

We had 2 inches of rain a week ago and another inch today. The pecan trees are showing distinct improvements as a result. The Adams #5 tree in my yard is lush and green with loads of maturing nuts. They should be ready to harvest in a month or a tad less.

2 Likes

Awesome. If you need an extra set of hands to graft next spring, Iā€™m cheap! A bus ticket will do and I work for free. :writing_hand:

Dax

Can someone tell what variety this pecan tree is and do you think it will be good tree but look big 3 inch long i love 20 miles north of Ohio river it might be northern jamies IMG_20180907_162010|570x1000

2 Likes

Sorry everyone new to this pic thing anyway this is the tree would like to get help with the variety i live 20 miles north of Ohio river in Cincinnati i was told when I bought it northern jamies. I bought 2 different varieties the other has very small nuts thanks

I would say you (hope) squirrels donā€™t get them.

Hereā€™s James in actual size thanks to Wes Riceā€™s book:

Good luck, Harry. Hope you get it identified on the first try.

Dax

It isnā€™t even a race any more. Some of the hican hybrid seedlings are 4 feet tall. None of the pecan seedlings, mostly Kanza, are more than 3 feet. Iā€™m impressed enough that I want to get a graft started from the tree the nuts came from. I may also arrange a trip to collect nuts and see if I can get enough to do a serious rootstock evaluation.

Of the Avalon trees I set out last spring, several have 3 feet of new growth. These were undersize grafted trees from Buck Paulk at Shiloh pecan trees. He sold several hundred 4 to 5 ft tall grafted trees on a commercial contract. These were leftover trees 2 to 3 feet tall. I gave them very good care which resulted in impressive first year growth. The exceptions are the carrot root trees of which there were about 5 out of the 23 trees I brought home. So note for the future, donā€™t buy carrot root pecan trees. Similar thought, donā€™t hesitate to buy a healthy small pecan tree with a good root system.

1 Like

Impressive results, Darrelā€¦ both seedlings and your grafts.

My 3-year rootstocks which were started from seed so true to 3-years made 4ā€™ growth of Kanza, 4ā€™ growth of Mullahy, and ~3ā€™ growth of a Hark. Kanza was a V cut with one of those tools; Mullahy was (2) bark grafts that both took and I had several (up to 8) leaders that I cut all but one back about a month ago; and Hark was another with that tool.

Dax

I found the first pecans with shucks split on the Adams #5 tree yesterday. Iā€™m really looking forward to having nut production on Kanza and Huffman so I can make some crosses.

My focus for next year will be on getting more seedling trees established so i can graft them to a limited selection of varieties on my radar for breeding purposes.

Which varieties are you going to work with?

Dax

Amling, Avalon, Creek, Elliott, Forkert, Gafford, Hark, Huffman, Kanza, Lakota, Morrill, Sumner, Waco Wonder, and Zinner are at the top of the list. I have trees growing of most of these. Varieties I would like to get started include Lucas, Major, Maramec, Sioux, and a few others.

Any idea how many Hark you got grafted this year?

Have you grafted ā€œFredā€™s Seedling Majorā€?

Hark and Fredā€™s Seedling Major overlap bloom times.

Dax

I got zero takes with Hark and Fredā€™s seedling. My scionwood for Hark was from Wes Rice. IMO, it was a bit thin just about the thickness of a pencil. I collected the scionwood for Fredā€™s from Auburn but was not able to get a good water sprout so wound up using wood taken from the tip of a limb. This usually results in low percentage of successful grafts. Usually, the last 12 inches of the tip is useless for pecan grafting. If a growing tip is 18 inches long, there is usually a 6 inch stick that will work. In this case, I got no takes.

Of the grafts that did well, Kanza, Cherryle, Waco Wonder, and Simpson hickory are far and away the best with vigorous and healthy growth. I collected Cherryle from Auburn and got 2 water sprouts between 3/8 and 1/2 inch diameter. This is arguably the optimum size and type wood for side grafts. All three Cherryle grafts took. Waco Wonder was from Monte Nesbitt. He knows how to pick scionwood. I got 3 out of 3 with his wood.

1 Like

Well, hit me up next year for Hark and possibly (2) sticks of ā€œFredā€™s Seedling Majorā€. (2) nice sticks that is. You can have 8 or 10 of Hark if you desire.

During conversation today, ā€œWacoā€ came up and was attributed as a Missouri selection. Is that same that youā€™re speaking of?

Dax

Pecans are early here in the South. The following varieties have had shuck split and we have harvested Pawnee and Kanza. Shuck split began with Pawnee on September 9.

Pawnee
Kanza
Baby B
SD-8
M-288
Creek
Caddo
Jenkins
Elliott
Excel
Lakota
McMillan

Caddo and McMillan are very early.

Waco is not the same as Waco Wonder. Here is an article explaining the origin.

I will take you up on the Hark, but can get all the Fredā€™s seedling wood I want from Auburn. I will make a point to get better scionwood this time.

Okay, message me when youā€™re ready for Hark scionwood.

Thatā€™s a great article. Thanks for sharing.

Dax