Pecan

The best i can rember when I bought 6 trees from tyty nursery 3, northern Jack 3,
with the name Missouri or something like that . Gave a few to friend i got 2 left the reason I would like to know is I planted 10 ish years ago.1 tree is 40 foot tall started to get pecans 3 years ago the nut is small not sure if it will get bigger with age.ok the other tree never really grew very good so I dug it up moved it about 4 years ago sti l never grew the i pruned it to stimulate growth that helped a butt now 15 20 feet tall I considered cutting it down or letting it grow few more years and using to smoke meat with .well I was out looking at it other and dang it had cluster of 3 huge pecans on it nice ones did not find any more yet so I would like to know what I have Can I plant the 3 pecan that are on the tree if so when or do I graft thanks all sorry for my bad thanks again punctuation.

This is a 10 year old webpage for tyty. https://web.archive.org/web/20080430102839/http://www.tytyga.com:80/category/Pecan+Trees

This is just my opinion, but I will never do business with tyty nursery. They did something very unethical to a guy I know. As in deal breaker unethical.

Yes I have seen that long ago after I bought them never again well found 3 more big one On this tree in ? And 2 small ones glad I did not cut it down it was like looking for mushrooms looked 45 min to find other 3 lol anyway hope someone can help with above ? Thanks

The hybrids are pulling ahead. While they germinated up to a month late, the hican hybrids are now up to a foot taller than any of the other seedlings. I don’t know for sure the genetics of this hican. I suspect it is a water hickory X pecan hybrid. The nuts are small, flattened, and have relatively thin shells. I planted about 25 of them just to see what would happen. About 20 germinated with half a dozen of them now the tallest trees in the greenhouse with several of them 3 feet tall or more. This is not all good news. The stems of these seedlings are distinctly softer and more pliable than the pecan seedlings. I plan to hold onto several of these to set out on my land in a low area that tends toward occasional flooding.

We had 2 inches of rain a week ago and another inch today. The pecan trees are showing distinct improvements as a result. The Adams #5 tree in my yard is lush and green with loads of maturing nuts. They should be ready to harvest in a month or a tad less.

Awesome. If you need an extra set of hands to graft next spring, I’m cheap! A bus ticket will do and I work for free. :writing_hand:

Dax

Can someone tell what variety this pecan tree is and do you think it will be good tree but look big 3 inch long i love 20 miles north of Ohio river it might be northern jamies IMG_20180907_162010|570x1000

Sorry everyone new to this pic thing anyway this is the tree would like to get help with the variety i live 20 miles north of Ohio river in Cincinnati i was told when I bought it northern jamies. I bought 2 different varieties the other has very small nuts thanks

I would say you (hope) squirrels don’t get them.

Here’s James in actual size thanks to Wes Rice’s book:

Good luck, Harry. Hope you get it identified on the first try.

Dax

It isn’t even a race any more. Some of the hican hybrid seedlings are 4 feet tall. None of the pecan seedlings, mostly Kanza, are more than 3 feet. I’m impressed enough that I want to get a graft started from the tree the nuts came from. I may also arrange a trip to collect nuts and see if I can get enough to do a serious rootstock evaluation.

Of the Avalon trees I set out last spring, several have 3 feet of new growth. These were undersize grafted trees from Buck Paulk at Shiloh pecan trees. He sold several hundred 4 to 5 ft tall grafted trees on a commercial contract. These were leftover trees 2 to 3 feet tall. I gave them very good care which resulted in impressive first year growth. The exceptions are the carrot root trees of which there were about 5 out of the 23 trees I brought home. So note for the future, don’t buy carrot root pecan trees. Similar thought, don’t hesitate to buy a healthy small pecan tree with a good root system.

Impressive results, Darrel… both seedlings and your grafts.

My 3-year rootstocks which were started from seed so true to 3-years made 4’ growth of Kanza, 4’ growth of Mullahy, and ~3’ growth of a Hark. Kanza was a V cut with one of those tools; Mullahy was (2) bark grafts that both took and I had several (up to 8) leaders that I cut all but one back about a month ago; and Hark was another with that tool.

Dax