Perry Pears Cider

New member resurrecting this thread to see if anyone has had any updates on their perry pear production.

I have some acreage in North Central WA and am thinking of putting in some perry pear trees.

I live in W. WA and not too far from Biringer Nursery and wondeing if we aggregated an order if they would be more interested if a bunch of us went in on an order. I could arrange to take delivery directly.

Jim

4 Likes

I am in southern Oregon zone 8a. I planted 3 perry pears 5 years ago–all on Oxfm333 semidwarf rootstock. Barland, Hendre Huffcap, and Winnals Longdon. Just getting my first crop now. Trees appear to be fireblight resistant with minimal spraying. Still looking for scionwood of Planta Blanc of French origin as most of my cider apples are also French varieties.

2 Likes

I missed this thread somehow… Once upon a time I grew many perry pears in the mid-Atlantic. They were no worse than other pears for fireblight, no big problems. I had too many pears in the space so removed them before they fruited.

1 Like

I don’t know anything about them but this is awesome. None astringency, as good as cider. at least to me.

3 Likes

ACE is tasty when you want something sweet, but I wouldn’t consider ACE Perry a true Perry. It’s really a cider. I read the description at a wine store and it says it is made with a cider base and pear “essence” is added.

3 Likes

I better begin reading. Hey thanks for that.

2 Likes

Hey Barkslip I have those exact same shoes! I use them as my house slippers :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I wear them in the snow. I kid you not. They never come off!

2 Likes

Perry is gaining in popularity but let’s face it the UK has more information than we do since Perry is very popular there. These photos are not mine they belong to this website Pear from Frank P Matthews
Photos of perry pears are very difficult to find
imgsize.jpeg-7
imgsize.jpeg-6
imgsize.jpeg-4
Blackeny red

Winnal Longdon

imgsize.jpeg-13
imgsize.jpeg-12

imgsize.jpeg-10

imgsize.jpeg-4

4 Likes

Anyone pursue perry pears further?

I have grafted yellow huffcap and i am collecting from some old wild pears that taste like they will make good perry. Last year I mixed Bartlett with wild crabapples high in tannins. It made a VERY good wine. These are the wild pears I collected today:

4 Likes

Those look like they would be great for perry. Let us know how things turn out or document the process if you have time. That’s a big load of fruit! Looks very delicious!

I just finished restoring my cider press, so I had to get a load of fruit ready.

1 Like

Can you remember the rough proportion of each?

I don’t have notes on that batch, but I usually have about 30 lbs of fruit in a 5 gallon batch and is seems like I had 5 or 7 lbs of small crabapples. I bottled after almost a year in carboys and primed for carbonation. It was like pear champagne. Come to think of it, I must have added sugar to up the alcohol content to around 10%.

1 Like

Wow take a look at Durondeau and humbug stripy!

Want to grow these just to look at! Look at Jargonelle

Old perry pear trees are fascinating to me as well like the one below

2 Likes