Persimmon help

I got some persimmon scion from a fella in Indiana.

6 kinds. 4 are east. Juhl, Morris burton, f25, and f26

But also L94a and 425-29. Can anyone provide a link or alternate name??? Google gives nothing

When I asked fella about it he just same they were claypool designations…

1 Like

Try i94a in your search. If memory serves me i94 is called Valeene Beauty an offspring of Early Golden and maybe Lena and i94a is an offspring of i94. Hope that helps a little.

2 Likes

I think you are right on with the “i”. Thanks!

gg

1 Like

You’re welcome, just happened to be one I researched. Got i94a & Morris Burton Scions from Indiana too, small world.

For those of you who enjoy history, I came across this newspaper article from Oct. 1955 regarding the winning fruit at that year´s Persimmon Festival – the ¨Lena¨ aka ¨Mitchellena¨, the seed parent to Claypool´s I-94 (later named ¨Valeene Beauty¨ by Don Compton).

The fruit was entered by Delbert Slaughter (1899-1970) and named in honor of his wife, Lena Stevens Slaughter (1901-1996). An article later that December reports that he was considering changing the name from Lena to Mitchellena to honor both the local and his wife together.

8 Likes

Does anyone have more background information on the origins of the Juhl/Yates persimmon? Or can you confirm my current understanding of it? (I love hearing the backstory of almost anything)
From old listserv posts by Jerry Lehman, I gather Juhl was a variety distributed by the Talbott Nursery in Linton, IN. It was at some point purchased by Ed Yates, who lost track of it, came across it at a later date and thought he had discovered a worthy new variety. Is anyone familiar with who or how it came to be distributed by Talbott Nursery? I see that the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at Cornell University has a collection that includes some 1950-70 Talbott nursery catalogues, maybe a catalogue entry might give some hint of the origin.