Persimmon mother load

I second the notion on dehydrated persimmons being very tasty.
Have trees around 20 years old…no fruit, so might be male. A neighbor has the mother tree and it is loaded like the trees pictured above.

3 Likes

I dry them……excellent. I also freeze pulp to use in baking. Have a recipe for persimmon bread that eats like cake…… very good.

8 Likes

Oh now Katy…you can’t be throwing out a reply like that without giving out the recipe! :cupcake:

7 Likes

Thanks all…

I will have to try drying some, jamming some pulp… I literally eat something like pie once or twice a year… but a persimmon pecan pie (as she mentioned in the vid) sure sounds good. I love traditional pecan pie and normally get a piece of that on Thanksgiving.

A low sugar jam… I could eat more frequently… will have to try that.

They do have seeds… I thought all did… never seen one without seeds… but I have only seen wild ones.

I have 3 in the edge of my fields… no fruit. There are some that fruit near though… in the fall… I suspect coons, possum, leave piles on our country road of mostly persimmon seeds ;-).

TNHunter

1 Like

Did a youtube search on persimmon fruit recipes…

Found Persimmon, (3 ingredient jam), Persimmon Pudding, Persimmon Bread…

Links below to the jam and bread vids…
I would do my low sugar jam… and might be able to convert that bread recipe to a keto version. I have a paleo recipe for banana bread that would work with persimmon bread. They both looked VERY Good. The bread looked very similar to banana bread, but more persimmon colored. I am sure the pudding is very good too, but I did not watch that one.

TNHunter

6 Likes

I knew that would come up……:joy::+1:

I have used persimmons that still had a bit of astringency. Seems the baking soda is supposed to take care of that. Something does because it goes away in the baking.

15 Likes

@k8tpayaso — your recipe is so neat looking… I would be ashamed to post a pic of most of mine. Messy for sure.

Thanks
TNHunter

1 Like

:joy:

It’s just about the same recipe as your video….except for the raisins and soda.

It’s good!

How do yall get the ripe persimmons before the wild animals do??

1 Like

You can harvest the hard orange persimmon fruits and let them wrinkle soft ripen on the counter to avoid critters. It usually takes 2 to 3 weeks.

4 Likes

We have tried once to make a jam from the american persimmon pulp and the astringency came back at full strength at the boil…no more, thank you.

Thanks! Looking forward to trying this. I like the goodies that use oil instead of butter.

1 Like

What gorgeous trees.

1 Like

Dried Hachiya is almost too sweet, I can understand why it is always accompanied with tea. I’d think these American persimmons should dry up the same way. There are multiple recipes mentioned here. Couple of super simple processing steps I do with Fuyus - 1) making smoothies with milk and 2) topping the pulp on oatmeal or yoghurt for breakfast

While growing up wild persimmon trees were everywhere and many of them were loaded with fruit. I know of no animal that would take more than one bite until they ripened. As they ripened we would shake the tree and a few would fall for us to munch on. They were very sweet but we never gathered them and normally they would all be consumed by what I assume was opossums and raccoons. The fruit on your trees look better than any of our wild ones. Hope you’re able to find good uses for the bumper crop.

3 Likes

Your handwriting is great for someone in medical field!

3 Likes

Thanks!!! Didn’t need to use medical abbreviations either……

2 Likes

I dont know for sure yet when these will ripen… my nephew who mows her yard thinks end of Sept or early October…

He has eaten them and says very good.

My wife and I will be celebrating 32 years of marriage… with a trip to Colorado… 8 days… mid-late September. Hope they ripen after we get back.

TNHunter

2 Likes

That recipe sounds like one I have for zucchini bread except it calls for persimmon pulp in place of shredded zucchini. Same basic ingredients anyway. So I could use persimmon, applesauce, pureed pears, pureed peaches ect. Just wondering how I can stretch this recipe to use on other fruits besides persimmon. I imagine it would work for lots of different fruits depending on what is in season.

Thanks for sharing it!

1 Like

Checked the persimmon trees yesterday…

Not quite ready yet.

I did try a couple that had dropped… one tasted good… the second was still quite astringent.

Most of the fruit is still hanging on the trees… showing a little orange tint.

I will keep checking…

6 Likes