Persimmons 2021

They may be root suckers and not seedlings in which case I wouldn’t be too sure that the connection to the parent tree wouldn’t adversely affect your grafts.

1 Like

I’d probably shove a spade into the ground in a circle roughly 2-3’ from the trunk. If there is a root from the neighbor’s tree, try to sever it. Get your sucker to grow on its own roots. Then you can move it if you’d like. Also it would not be dependent on the neighbor’s tree.

4 Likes

I’d graft that.

1 Like

Good suggestions. I think I’ll try to find the runner and cut it off a good ways out. Maybe it will put down more roots this fall. There are two about 3 ft apart I think on the same runner.

I’m likely a few years away from fruit, but the Rosseyanka persimmon I planted last fall has put on almost 4’ of growth. It was very exciting!

12 Likes

You should check out this thread. Hot Callus Pipe DIY

Additionally Persimmons have a taproot so you’ll want to dig deep to maintain as much as you can. Good luck!

2 Likes

There’s either something going on with mine, or with my tastebuds. I get some unpleasant bitterness. I don’t remember it so much from the 1st year it produced. Not sure if its it or me. Not many samples this year. It was loaded, but they dropped, late, likely do to heat and drought.

Ram, is that straight up Jiro or one of the sports?

It looks like my NOT Izu, and this year its loaded. They are just starting to get a hint of color too. Last year, the few it produced were flavorless. I’m hoping for better this year. I’ve grafted Izu to it, in the center of a spreading tree. If they are flavorless again, those remaining original branches will get the proverbial axe.

1 Like

Its a straight up Jiro. In past years when my neighbor had an Izu, it colored up way after Izu and wasn’t anywhere as sweet.

Last year it was flavorless for me as well. The year before that was quite good - it was a warm year for us. This year I expect it to be quite sweet as we got a lot of heat units.
It is a rootstock for all my hybrids – Kasandra, JT-02 and Chuchupaka. I’m expecting atleast Chuchupaka to fruit next year as it has become quite large now.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if anyone can help me with an ID on a persimmon a neighbor is growing. He got it from Edible Landscaping 8-10 years ago and he gave me one last year which was very rich and tasty. He has no idea of the variety - all he remembered was that EL said it was good for our area (7a) when they recommended it. They are quite big, almost as big as the Rojo and Hachiya you see in the stores. As you can see in this less than great picture, the sides are flat, although sometimes a bit more tapered than this boxy one, and no “lobes”. None are showing any real color, except for one damaged fruit that is just ripening pre-maturely, so it isn’t particularly early. It survived our polar vortex years that killed most figs in our area back to the roots, so I was thinking it couldn’t be Hachiya, but maybe… Anyway, thoughts? I may ask to take some cuttings to graft with, but I sure would like to know what it is.

6 Likes

Looks like Hachiya. Most likely Hachiya.

3 Likes

Harvested first ever my potted Prok from second year graft , color looking very nice but it is very tough and will wait for a day or two to cut it.

14 Likes

Maybe it’s just a first year, but somehow I expected it to be bigger.

Did it fall or did you pick it?

I picked.

1 Like

Curious, have you had a frost yer? I notice leaves still not shed, so it might ripen more naturally on the tree. Let us know if astringent, and when it fully ripens. I have ordered scions for Prok and several others
Dennis
Kent, wa

2 Likes

Rojo Brillante branches broke due to heavy weight of fruit. I retrieved 3 to keep indoors. They were way too small but still colored up from pure green.
Zero astringency but not yet sufficiently sweet.

7 Likes

it is not necessary to wait until frost.
Just pick the fruit when it naturally falls down.
I agree that it is best to let it ripen as long as possible in the tree.

4 Likes

My average frost date is Oct 15th , since it was my first Prok can stay longer but I was too excited to pick.

1 Like

Not many of these, but this is meader. About inch and a half. I have lots of wilds around so I expect some seeds.

5 Likes