Persimmons 2021

this persimmon looks larger than the flat fuyus i been seeing locally. you should ask them what variety

2 Likes

Yes! You can say a whole forum of maritime growers are super curious about its ID!
I’d guess Izu or Ichi.

1 Like

Tecumseh has been the most consistent and productive fruit tree for me over the past few years.

30 Likes

@ncdabbler

Matching socks are the key to picking!

7 Likes

Awesome!!!

2 Likes

Good eye! I’m surprised he was even wearing socks at all. Usually he runs around the yard barefoot.

4 Likes

Perfect! Print out that pic for keeping!!

2 Likes

Using the CO2 from Pepsi hasn’t worked- the persimmons were still astringent after 4 days. I did another round using baking soda and vinager and even after a week, that didn’t work either. I’ve ordered a bike pump which comes with a 20g CO2 cartridge and will give that a shot.

If that doesn’t work, I’ll probably give up on CO2 and try freezing them. But, while non-astringent (not even a hint) is most important to me, I really don’t like goopy texture. I guess the other possibility is to try drying them. Or just graft over to non-astringent varieties and hope they don’t die…

One persimmon which has been non-astringent are the ones on my Miss Kim that went through some light freezes.

I just picked these last night:

They were ~20 brix and soft to the touch. While I don’t really like fruit that soft, they were good enough that I ate the whole fruit (often I just have a small sample, then pass it on) and my wife liked them.

One persimmon I’d really like for the CO2 treatment to work is Nikita’s Gift. Here’s one which was 35 brix, but still astringent, even after the CO2 treatment and a few weeks on my counter. It was somewhat-edible, but still had more astringency left than I’d like. Even at 35 brix, it wasn’t much sweeter than the 20 brix Miss Kim, likely due to the astringency.

I think I’ve got a few NG left on the tree, so I’ll need to see if they are better.

One Picundo which went through the CO2 and a couple weeks on the counter was OK. 17 brix and only a hint of astringency left.

I picked most of the remaining Chienting yesterday. The tree has started to drop it’s leaves, but there are still a few which give it an interesting look.

11 Likes

Miss Kim is a nice persimmon. It’s about as good as a grocery store Hachiya. They aren’t too big so I can eat a couple at a time. Hope it stays cold hardy and produces more in the future.

3 Likes

If you have a vacuum sealer, you might give that a try:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/312933391_Vacuum_packaging_is_efficient_to_remove_astringency_and_to_maintain_the_firmness_of_‘Giombo’_persimmon

3 Likes

A simpler process that ripened my Hachiyas was to put them over 2 days in a closed bag indoors with a ripening apple or tomato, or banana. In two days they go from hard astringent to soft and sweet

Another method! I went out with headlamp to pick a few Saijo just so I can try this. Giving it 5 days and then a few days to counter ripen. Simple if it works!

1 Like

I thought he preferred non-astringent while still firm.

I really do prefer firm. If I want non-astringent and soft, wouldn’t just freezing them (like the Miss Kim did on the tree) do the as putting it in a bag with an apple or banana?

1 Like

I’m not sure if it is something you want to try, but I have found the technique of putting a little dish of 80 proof or higher alcohol (vodka, etc.) in a closed bag or container with astringent persimmons is easy and very effective. I’ve used it to remove astringency from still hard hachiya, although I think I like them best when they are a bit soft. I’ll eat them when they are soupy soft, but definitely prefer to remove the astringency and have them firmer.

2 Likes

I have Nikita’s Gift and am also curious about removing astringency without going full freezer mush. I happen to be a home-brewer too, so today I took about 10 persimmons that were fully orange but still quite firm and put them into an empty keg, sealed it up and pumped in some CO2.

From the few research abstracts I’ve read it seems like 24 hours of high CO2 at around room temp followed by 2-3 days in normal air are supposed to work. Will report back if I have any success.

2 Likes

I was eventually able to ripen one on the counter. It wasn’t liquefying- instead it was on it’s way to drying. But at 38 brix it was still pretty tasty. But I had to let it go a long time before the astringency was gone.

4 Likes

I let Nikita’s Gift ripened on the tree. This year it ripened around the first week of Nov, earlier than last year. By then, there was no astringency left. Texture is very soft but it tasted good.

Last year I used vodka to remove Hachiya’s astringency but it did not work. I blamed the vodka. The bottle was several years old but never opened.

4 Likes

I’ve got a Heisenberg’s Uncertainty question: How do you know that the persimmon wasn’t non-astringent sooner without eating it?

3 Likes

Isn’t CO2 used on apples to slow or stop ripening in storage ? Ethelene gas speeds ripening . Given off by ripening fruit . When I was a teenager I worked at a produce wholesale place . They would put pallets of tomatoes in the banana room to speed ripening of tomatoes .

1 Like