Persimmons 2022

Thanks for your review @Anjeerfarmer ,
I think I will prefer H118. Prok might have to stay in a pot. H118 has a spot in ground.

1 Like

My H118 still has over 150 fruit on it that are at or near full size. I’m fortunate, the reason I have the variety is because its probably the first American persimmon I’ve tasted, and then I asked Jim Gilbert for scion wood.

3 Likes

Bought several persimmons from Cliff England couple of years ago. I thought I picked all the flowers off of them this spring, so they would concentrate on growing. Apparently missed some on a Prok. First time I have tasted an astringent variety.

7 Likes

I have Prok, Valeen Beauty, Lehman’s Delight, and Barbra’s Blush dropping for about 12 days now.
My early drops are never the best. They will all be better in another week or so. Kasandra is turning yellow, but I do not expect it to be ripe until October. Rosseyanka is usually ripe for me in early December.

4 Likes

These coffee cake persimmons are A plus. The dark orange ones melt in your mouth, hints of cinnamon, sweetness. They are ripening up nicely on the counter.

13 Likes

This is a great Portland OR Reference of persimmons that ripen there:

I was looking for information on Sheng and read it too does great because Vincent said it does in Seattle.

1 Like

What part of the country are you in Bill? I think I saw your review on a few varieties in previous posts and they have influenced my decisions on which varieties to search for (thank you).

@Barkslip my sheng died a while ago so I wasn’t sure how it performs in NW. My Saijo and Izu tasing not so bad but their fruit so little in size. Now I am waiting for American Asian hybrid Nikita’s gift. This year I still have one left so far. Portland is hotter than Seattle. It’s better for persimmon and pawpaw Dax.

5 Likes

I think John’s “not so interesting” comment about the Izu flavor would apply to all PCNA persimmons for him. He much prefers American persimmons. He also likes raw quince, sour apples, and strong flavors.

@Vincent_8B , has your Sheng fruited, or do you know somebody else in the area who has gotten fruit from it?

edit: this post sat unentered for a while, apparently long enough for Vincent to already answer the question.

3 Likes

I ordered sheng and Giombo from Just Fruit and Exotic…they shipped whole containers with soil. It’s (sheng) leafing out a few months then died. Giombo was fine. Then I had to explained to them for replacement but I paid expensive shipping charge. Then happened exactly same problem again. Never fruiting yet. I gave up on sheng. Giombo was fruiting very well. @murky

1 Like

@Vincent_8B My Sheng went down in flames as well. Never bought another.

1 Like

I’ve got a graft of Sheng on my backup tree. It’s a fuyugaki that’s growing slowly. Has sone Nikitas gift and fuyugaki fruit on it though.

2 Likes

I’m in Illinois, about 30 miles north of St. Louis, MO. Zone 6a.

1 Like

This is the persimmon that grew on the male graft. Definitely different than the coffee cake persimmons.

Very juicy, no astringency at all, pure sweetness. I prefer the coffee cake persimmons, but this was a nice change up.

9 Likes

Looks great Jim. Let me know if you can spot a stick or 2 in the winter. This sounds like one I’d want to graft.

3 Likes

Yeah, for sure I can get you a few sticks. Be happy to trade for the Saijo. Let’s remind each other this winter.

1 Like

@mamuang

I found some close up pictures of my H118 from 2 years ago:

14 Likes

Here is mine from 2 years ago as well. Since then it has not held onto any fruit.
2021 – young fruits were destroyed by 114F heat in June.
2022 - fruits fell off because I think the tree was in shock from being transplanted and loss of tap root. It is in survival mode this year. Hope it pulls through. I recall the fruit being extremely tasty

11 Likes

Two early drops. They were both surprisingly good and had no astringency.

11 Likes

They look delicious. I am so not liking all you guys with fruit.

5 Likes