Persimmons 2022

I just do not think that is 100%. I asked some fruit farm owners and they said otherwise.

1 Like

What technique do they use?

1 Like

Do you know what type of graft this was originally?

@jrd51 … sorry do not know… got it from Cliff at Englands Orchard. It was quite small when i got it… like 1/4 inch diameter.

1 Like

I have a couple of trees that were grafted very low. You cannot see the graft union. It is the most likely scenario with your tree.
Growing persimmons vegetatively is possible from root cuttings. This is the technique used to produce dwarfing rootstock in Japan.
But it is not possible to propagate vegetatively from shoot cuttings — to the best of my knowledge.

Micropropagating/tissue culture might be possible. But I don’t think it is happening widely.
There are lots of experts on this forum. They will no doubt weigh in.

2 Likes

From the research articles I’ve been reading, it is possible but challenging. First, there’s a lot of genetic variation and some clones are more likely to succeed than others. Second, it seems to work best if those shoots come from root suckers (which gets back to needing access to the ortet). The reason for this is because the root suckers are in a more juvenile state physiologically than the branches. It might be possible to induce this juvenile state using etiolation techniques (let shoots start growing in darkness, either by covering or by somehow getting the branch buried) and then root those etiolated cuttings. I plan to try this at some point. The bigger point is that it may be possible, buut there are so many hoops to jump through and still get a low success rate. So it just doesn’t make economic sense compared to grafting.

Edit:

From the abstract of this article:

The clone genotype had a significant effect on the rooting rate, which ranged from zero to close to 100% in the various clones examined. Cuttings collected from different positions on the mother plant shoots did not differ significantly in their rooting rate, suggesting that juvenility does not play an important role in rooting of D. virginiana cuttings. Collecting cuttings at the early stage of the growing season yielded the highest rooting rate, which gradually decreased as the growing season progressed.

So juvenility might not matter as much as genetics. If genetics is the #1 factor, your results are going to vary wildly from variety to variety.

2 Likes

That is what I normally hear. But occasionally I hear different opinion.

Same that folks say you can’t propagate jujube from cuttings. But some forum members have had some success with it.

We just need to give it some tries.

1 Like

While other propagation methods might be possible, I would be very surprised if any of the regular nurseries would go through that effort when grafting to seedling D. Virginiana is so reliable and cost-effective.

I’ve grafted a good number of persimmons and have some trees from others and most seem to heal quite well. I wouldn’t be surprised if the grafts weren’t visible on many of these down the road, particularly with native cultivars and many of the hybrids.

No my apple grafts on the other hand… man those often get lumpy and ugly over time.

3 Likes

In spring, we’ll prune our fruit trees and throw away some plant materials. I’ll be happy to try to root or air layer some of that. If they fail, there is nothing to lose. This is something I always want to know.

2 Likes

Prairie Sun. Split due to heavy rain after dry spell. Very good flavor.

13 Likes

Jujubes are regularly propagated by cuttings. Some nurseries make it a point to mention that their jujubes are own root. Persimmons are not even in the same ballpark. Propagating persimmons on their own root – at least for the common varieties is still a research topic.

I like to know what nursery states that it propagates jujube by own roots… Not talking about those seedling jujube with thorns.

Just fruits and exotics used to have this on their website. Maybe they still do.

1 Like

Hi Jafar,
How old is your H118?
I ordered my Ichi kei Jiro, from Plantmegreen, date: 11/12/2019. It had a few blossoms the first year 2020, but no fruits, then in 2021 My IKJ set 9 fruits, but they all shed during the middle of the growing season. So far this year I have fewer shedding and about half are still on the tree beginning to turn color.
2022 count: 16 fruits set, as of 10/1: 8 still on tree, 8 were shed by mid August. Hopefully these still on will continue to

ripening.
I tried to graft some H118 last year on my Chocolate that I am top working, but that graft didn’t not take.
Dennis
Kent, wa

4 Likes

I grafted H118 myself, maybe 7 or 8 years ago. It started as what was supposed to be Saijo, but it wasn’t even a kaki… So I tried and failed to graft Saijo to it, and eventually grafted to H118.

11 Likes

Nice fruit!
Do you mean you thought the rootstock was Saijo?

@DennisD — Be patient. I planted my three IKKJ in 2015. I harvested ~25 in 2020 and ~300 in 2021. That was unreal and maybe unsustainable. It looks like there’s 100-150 this year. The point is that you may have to wait 5-6 years for a great crop.

3 Likes

I ordered a tree from a mail order nursery. It was sold to me as a grafted Saijo. The tree was not Saijo, not even a kaki.

I’m not sure if it was just a seedling rootstock, or had been grafted to a virginiana.

I grafted it to H118.

2 Likes

Good to hear! I can see that each year it gets more mojo, generally I am pleased to see what is happening

Getting a few early season Proks.

19 Likes