Pitmaston Pineapple?

I think it could be a difference between “dry” and “drought”.

If it is a drought, almost all fruit would suffer in some ways, I believe.

Maybe that’s it.

I had a few pitmaston pineapples this year. Unfortunately they were very rot prone for me like the yellow fleshed russet apples are… so I will be taking if out.

The taste is very good, no pineapple for me but a rich sweet-sour favor. Mine are all fully russeted.

3 Likes

I’m growing Pitmaston Pineapple in the hills of East SFBay Area. It’s been in the ground for just three years, and it’s the slowest growing tree of all our apples (White Pearmain, Goldrush, Hooples’ Antique Gold, Golden Nugget, Hauer Pippin, Williams Pride, Hawaii, Hudson’s Golden Gem, King David, and Black Limbertwig). I bought most of these trees from Trees of Antiquity. Almost all our trees were advertised as suitable for zone 10 (we are 10a), while PP was the only one listed as only up to zone 9. All but the William’s Pride are on MM111 rootstocks.

Wondering if PP needs a little more winter rest. Anyone else notice lack of vigor in early years?

1 Like

@MaracujA I find the vigor to be about average compared to other trees. These two other sources also list it as having average vigor.

1 Like

I would agree with that, and I’m in the same general area (and zone) as @MaracujA.

3 Likes

Average vigor but slow to bear for me. Might be out of it’s element in CA. I notice most of the Euro apples are the last thing to break dormant here.

1 Like

When grafted it grows well and is one of my best apples here in Nor Cal. Probably #4 or 5.This says a lot as we are in a very marginal apple growing climate, too hot. Pink Lady takes the best easily.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. I’ll keep waiting and hoping, the fruit truly sound appealing. I’ll be sure to post updates here.

2 Likes