Pittsburgh Metro Area

Well we officially are in “abnormally dry” conditions now, and likely to be upgraded to drought soon. I actually watered my trees this week which I haven’t done since I first planted them 4-5 years ago.

4 Likes

This is certainly quite early in the year to be having such a long dry spell/drought. It’s been making gardening and growing plants in pots a tedious ordeal. Reminder to those who grow pawpaws: Water and mulch your pawpaws if you haven’t already. Especially if you’ve been grafting them. They do not respond well to droughts.

1 Like

This map indicates most of Western and Central Pa. is in the darkest color of drought. We visited Indiana County last weekend and could see for ourselves.

Paw paws started dropping September 4.
Unknown variety from a fellow who started from seed.

4 Likes

I’ll have to begin looking at my local foraging spots soon if you are getting some ripe ones!

How about you @TJ_westPA? Any ripe pawpaws yet?

1 Like

From my own trees, no. I had a small amount of dormant flower buds that survived after the late freeze this spring, but it took them a long time to fully bloom. Seemed like a month or more later than usual. I wouldn’t be surprised if I don’t start getting ripe fruit before early October, though I’m predicting the last week of this month. Chappell might ripen sooner though, as it had a pollinated flower bloom sooner than the other trees and that cluster appears further along.

I haven’t checked any wild patches though. I’d imagine they had many more flowers higher up the in the trees or in microclimates that were able to avoid much damage from the late freezes. So those should be just starting to ripen now.

2 Likes

Anyone in the area interested in a 23 qt pressure canner? It works well, just not on an induction stovetop.

Yes!

You got it!

They look great !

Well based on the current weather report my plums and peaches are pretty much screwed. Set to bloom two weeks earlier than last year and lows down to 24 next week.

How’s everyone else’s fruit fairing?

1 Like

My pears are probably going to be sad. Otherwise hopeful things will stay asleep.

1 Like

Plums, peaches, pears, apples, & even the pawpaws all have enlarged flower buds. Medlars, peaches, & plums starting pushing vegetative growth as well.

I record when certain flowering plants bloom each year. Red maple started blooming on 3/2 last year & on 3/4 this year. Last year was really early though (3/16 in 2022 & 3/20 in 2020). But our recent warm spell really pushed things further ahead compared to last year. Forsythia started blooming on 3/15 this year, compared to 3/25 last year.

& I thought last year was a really early spring… Feels like there’s little chance to get much fruit from the stonefruits, persimmons, medlars, & maybe the pawpaws yet again this year.

I’m keeping my eye on my Superior plum as that is my first fruit tree to start blooming & did so on 4/3 last year.

I’m glad to see an extended cold spell in the forecast, through all of next week.

1 Like

If they haven’t popped open yet the peaches might be alright. If your trees are somewhat mature, it only takes 10% bud survival to give you an okay amount of fruit. Depending what stage they’re in, 24 degrees should leave you some wiggle room as long as they’re still mostly closed. Fingers crossed. My apricots are in full bloom but I never count on them anyway, I mainly use them as a point of reference for when other fruit might bloom at this point.

Temps are dropping even more according to the forecast, two 22F nights at the end of this week.
Covered my apricot, which is blooming… not sure if it going to help.

Forecast for tonight is 21 and tomorrow night down to 19. The cold has kept anything from actually blooming yet, but at 19 I think my peaches and plums are done. Apples and pears and grapes are far enough back that they should be ok.

My trees are pretty big now though, so might be enough fruit left for a small harvest even at these temps. We’ll see.

1 Like

Hello everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself. I’m Matt Brown and I live just outside of Pittsburgh in Franklin Park, very close to the Camp Horne exit off of 279 or Mt. Nebo off of 79.

We moved into this house 7 years ago and at that time the back yard was just grass. I’ve planted about 35 trees and 100 or so berry bushes since moving in. Also trying my hand at bees to increase pollination. My next goal is to get a handle on grafting. I’ve run out of space, so I need to graft to introduce more variety.

I look forward to connecting with Pittsburgh locals and seeing/discussing growing here!

2 Likes

Greetings! Impressive set up :+1: Since you have quite a list of fruits, are they’re any that have been especially notable at avoiding the late frosts?

I think I have been hit or miss on frost issues. I’m 7 years in on my apricot and have never had it make it through the late frosts. I attempted to cover it this March with 2 frost blankets (see pics), but it wasn’t enough. I’ve only lost peaches/nectarines to late frost one year, everything else has made it through.
My biggest issues by far have been fungus with our wet springs and high humidity. Every year I make progress, hopefully this year is the one I keep everything under control.

2 Likes

Did any blossoms make it? I think I had 100% loss even with double frost blanket coverage.