Pittsburgh Metro Area

Any pawpaw fruiting people - any ripe fruits yet in the area? @TJ_westPA @Franp or others?

Not quite yet with my trees. Haven’t checked the wild ones yet. This is typically the date when I would start to find a ripe fruit or 2 in a patch, when I used to check wild trees more often. Not worth going yet. Another week and I can usually find lots.

1 Like

Thanks Tony! I will start looking at a few spots next week then if I’m able to.

hi guys!!
good to hear from you all!
I have three trees and one of trees is starting to drop off fruit. I got about 20 so far starting 15 days ago… maybe another 20fruits to go.
the other two trees will start dropping more towards end of September so I like to continuous fruit availability.
The size of the fruit in my hand on the left side is about four and a half inches long. The other trees that haven’t dropped yet are longer maybe 5 and 1/2 or 6 in Long.
I’ve been giving some away to many folks (paw paw public relations) who’ve never tasted it before everybody’s very surprised!
@TJ_westPA @disc4tw @urbangardener

4 Likes

Save any seed you don’t want to keep Fran (and keep it moist), I’d gladly take them to grow!

ok
or scion?

Seeds would be great. I have some parks to plant lol

1 Like

Wow! 15 days ago is pretty early compared to what I typically find from wild patches in west PA. Is that tree a named variety? Or if not, where did you get it from?

I just checked my calander.
… actually 9 days not 15… Sept 2 first ripe ones.
no name variety.
I got at Hahn’s nursery babcock Blvd … I think 2015

1 Like

Still pretty early! That’s a nice trait to have with pawpaws. How’s the taste of the fruit?

I think great taste… but I can’t compare to many others since I’ve only had from 2 other trees.
Not tangy or creating a puckering feeling.
banana mango custard taste

Looking to taste a pawpaw if anyone has a spare ripe one. Trying to decide if I’m going to add them to my orchard. I’m up north of the city.

Will report on fig and pawpaw status today :wink:

Edit: at least one small pawpaw remains below the entrance to the aquarium. Lots of cornelian cherries by the lynx/tiger habit. We didn’t head to the monkey exhibit to check for figs. Lots of trifoliate oranges by the lions.

2 Likes

Tony
getting paw paws now?
my earlier tree is done, the other two are in peak season.

2 Likes

Ryan
got abt 50 seeds so far

1 Like

where at up north?

Yes, my trees started ripening last Tuesday the 14th. I have Allegheny, Shenandoah, and Wabash with fruit this year. They all dropped their first fruit the same day on the 14th. Getting Alleghenys pretty consistently each day since they are smaller and there are lots more of them. The Shenandoahs are big and slower to ripen each one. Wabash had the least fruit but ripened a full cluster of 5 good sized fruits so far.

1 Like

I’m up in Mars near cranberry. Though I’ll happily come down to the city. I have plenty of Asian pears if anyone wants to swap fruit.

@TJ_westPA
glad harvest is happening.
fun time!
any critter issues?
I don’t have any problems with critters climbing the trees but once they fall something is eating half of each one.
I set out have a heart trap and put some half eaten ones in the trap I figured if they like them outside the trap they will go in the trap to eat them

1 Like

how about we meet at soergils wexford sometime?
noon or so… that work for you?