Planning my Backyard Orchard

@VA-Jay

Paul,

I don’t want to suggest any particular fruit for you to plant because my palette is probably different than yours.

I suggest that you be conscious of the following points and you should be ok.

1. What do you and the your different family members like to eat.

2. From that list select those that grow in your locale. Once you get the hang of this, you can experiment with zone pushing expecting that some will not make it and some will fruit sporadically.

3. Ripening times. Whatever you choose select varieties that ripen over the entire season. Having new fresh fruit coming in throughout the season is a plus. Don’t ignore late season fruits that store well.

4. HOW MUCH fruit can you use. Keep in mind that —> you are not supplying the local A&P. 30 trees that you don’t have enough time to care for may not produce as well or as much as 15 that you can take care of. ALSO, with thoughtful grafting one tree can provide different varieties or varieties that ripen at different times. Its not how many trees you have; it is how much fruit you get from them…

Keep these points in mind and you should have an orchard that will both feed you and be fun to keep.

Just my two cents.

Mike

9 Likes

Ditto what @MES111 said.
Think ‘what’ and ‘how much’ are you going to eat or store. As you get started consider that there are things that are hard to change (such as planting location, soil fertility) and things that are easy to change (variety - within limits)
Lots of enthusiasm here for growing BUT tastes, climate, soil can completely change the game for you. Def do a family taste test first as @mamuang said.
Begin soil testing and remediating from the get go. You’ll have better results sooner.
Just sayin’ :wink:
Whoops. Thought of a few more things my fellow Virginian may want to consider. You mentioned ‘higher density’ planting which usually is associated with certain pruning technique that you can begin on now. I started with open vase and have been reworking the pruning to more of a fruiting wall so the trees are easier to protect, which brings me to my next point. The occupiers of those woods want your fruit too. There are posts on this forum to give some ideas which you can incorporate into your planning.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for the advice; it’s highly appreciated. I will try to address a number of the comments that you all made.

I do have some berries planted in containers that I will either transplant or keep in a container (think half-whiskey barrel containers). Right now I have black currants, two types of raspberries and a gooseberry. My main fear is SWD, which has been found in my county (Hanover County, VA), but not in the neighboring county (Henrico) where we practically live - the border is only a mile and a half a way. My hope is that we are out of the danger area, but you never know.

Another fruit-fly pest that has me worried is the African Fig Fly that has been moving north of Florida for some time. They will supposedly attack figs while still on the tree. Does anyone have any experience with this pest?

Jujubes are high on my list of things to try in the yard. The only thing that has me worried is taste and suckering. The suckering I can deal with, but it’s hard to invest the time and energy into a plant without knowing what the fresh fruit tastes like. Do any supermarkets carry fresh jujubes or dried ones? I suppose worst case scenario I could order dried jujubes off Amazon.

Persimmons are something that my wife and I both enjoy. An American persimmon would likely be too large for what we are planning, but I’m thinking one of the Asian varieties might fit. Is there a self-pollinating Asian persimmon that doesn’t get too large?

What kind of spacing on your trees do most of you have? My trees are currently spaced between 12’ and 15’ and my intent is to keep the trees around 10’ in diameter.

My family really loves to eat fruit, but we are looking to preserver a large amount of our harvest and give away the rest to our neighbors, friends and co-workers. For that reason I’ve tried to stay away from having more than one variety that fruits during the same time period.

1 Like

@VA-Jay

Your spacing should be fine.

From my experience in Zone 5b New York, the plums and apricots are going to grow like weeds. You will have to decide how tall you want them to grow.

Look up earlier threads regarding bringing branches down to horizontal or below to induce earlier fruiting.

There is a mental condition that runs rampant here. It is called “WHY JUST DO IT WHEN YOU CAN OVERDO IT”. With the size of your yard you are at hazard of contracting a very serious case of the malady

Be warned … there is no vaccine for it and no known cure: :smiley:

Mike

5 Likes

SWD is just about everywhere. They prefer Raspberry, Backberry and Blueberry in that order. As a general rule SWD hit late ripening fruit harder than early fruit.

Even with the SWD problem, it will be a lot easier to grow black and blueberries rather than apples or peaches in your climate.

VPI has a big research farm in Blackstone,VA which might offer some good information

1 Like

I agree. It looks like you probably have acidic soil (heavy, poorly draining, w/ evergreens in the background). Blueberries would thrive in your conditions. (SWD might also thrive). Apples on rot resistant root stocks may also do well for you. I’m not sure if Fireblight would be an issue to consider there. Persimmons might also work out for you. You probably won’t have much luck with peaches, cherries, or plums. If you do try plums, I would grow them on a more vigorous root stock. Best wishes.

1 Like

I have never met anyone who didn’t like jujubes just as I’ve never met anyone who didn’t like apples or peaches. Jujubes are not a marginal fruit. They’re a major fruit that just isn’t grown much in the US. People may not consider it their favorite fruit, but they like it. Dried jujubes are vastly different from fresh jujubes. Many people who love fresh jujubes don’t care for dried jujubes. Buying jujube fruit is not likely to be a productive experience. Generally the only jujube that is sold in the US is Li and it’s always picked early which is when it’s edible but very low in sugar, and not a good fruit for anyone’s first experience with a jujube.

1 Like

Drying fruit can be a mixed bag. I love dried cherries, apricots, nectarines,etc. But I don’t like dried plums even though I’m a big fan of plums. Not much of a raisen person either although I love grapes.

I’ve not tasted jujube either fresh or dried. Would like too though. I have a feeling I’d like them fresh but not dried.

1 Like

Dried jujubes often have flavors that are not noticeable in fresh jujubes and those flavors are not always my favorite. They have a texture that is different than dried dates and I don’t like that texture probably because I expect them to have the texture of dried dates. I’ve talked to people who grew up eating jujubes and they think the texture is perfect and that the texture of dates is inferior.

1 Like

Welcome to the club! You can read a bit about my experience so far on poor draining soil with a variety of trees.

#1 - PROTECT those trees! You will need fencing for deer as well as rabbit/mouse protection. You could probably just add a couple posts to your existing fence and add wires with flags at 8’ to keep them from jumping over. Trunks can be protected with hardware cloth or spiral guards. Sunburn protection by painting with latex paint (Painting trunks for sunburn and rodents - #41 by clarkinks).

You don’t say what your solar orientation is. I am hoping that your backyard faces north because the shadow those big trees will cast will limit how some of your fruit will ripen.

What root-stocks did you use? You will want something with crown and collar-rot resistance.

Consider also planting some grapes. Backyard grapes are so much better than store bought.

Finally, don’t worry about planting too many trees. Order some scion wood and start grafting this spring. Apples are super forgiving and you can easily have 3-4+ varieties per tree. A mature tree will give you 70+ lbs of fruit each and I prefer to have 20-30 lbs of several different varieties maturing at different times over a 4 month period than a huge amount of 1 type ripe all at once.

Have fun. Experiment on what works for you, in your soil, in your climate, in your hands, for your taste-buds. People can give you guidance but until you actually try it you can’t be sure.

1 Like

Light is very important to consider. Lots of fruiting plants can actually do well in only 6 hours of light. Some even less, so it’s important to know what to plant where.

1 Like

The fence that my trees are currently planted on is a east-west running fence that is on the north side of my property. They receive a lot of light but they miss out on the late evening sun and the early morning sun. That part of the yard definitely receives more than six hours of sun a day. My tomatoes love it.

I’m not certain what root-stock I’m planted on (it wasn’t listed at this nursery and how I went about getting my first trees is one of the things that I would change were I to do it again). That’s part of the reason they are in 10 inch raised bed. My hope is that should keep them safe.

Also, for any number of reason, we don’t actually have to contend with deer in my neighborhood (there are a number of fences and other barriers they would have to go through to get to my backyard). We have yet to see a single deer since we have moved here.

Edit: One of my issues along the fence has generally been that they receive too much sun and heat during the summer time. I would be worried about giving anything “full” sun during July and August here.

Fruit tree leaves can take any amount of sun, if the tree is adequately watered. The leaves will protect the branches. Just make sure to white-color trunks and be careful when summer pruning to not expose bare branches.

1 Like

Blackgold cherry and Seckel pear might do really well for you- beginners luck!

See “Rosseyanka” persimmon…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSBOenTG-yg

2 Likes

So the video definitely sold me on the Rosseyanka. I love the foliage as well.

My Seckel has been something of a laggard. Compared to my Moonglow it looks like a midget.

Seckel is a natural dwarf. It is supposed to grow slowly. On the flip side, it is supposed to be precocious- fruiting years earlier than most other pear varieties.

It is a Euro pear seedling discovered hundreds of years ago in humid Pennsylvania.

1 Like

It’s certainly taking its time to grow, which might be why it is resistant to fire blight. Oddly enough my Moonglow is the pear that is precocious as it is already full of flowering spurs.

You will not have problem with jujubes in full sun.

Jay - I am in Northern VA and have a smaller back yard than you have. I have 1 moorgold apricot (this seems to be a good variety for this area. As with all apricots there is a risk of loss due to a late frost), a burgundy plum, 2 oriental pears (Cojuro and shinko) (need to be fire blight resistant and the shinko is), 3 peaches (2 elberta, one unknown), a stella cherry (you either need two cherries for pollination of a self pollinator like stella), 2 paw paw trees (shenandoah and susquahanna), a jujube (sherwood), a fuyu persimmon and some berry bushes. My biggest problem is control of the squirrels and chipmunks who tend to take all of the fruit. I also have some kiwi vines.

3 Likes

I’m general, I’d say just cool it. You have enough to keep you busy.

Might try a pear as suggested. They take extra time to come into production, so it’s imperative to start off early. They are quite attractive, especially if you bend the branches to a more horizontal shape. So consider a way to work it into the landscape.

Berries and small fruit for the opposite reason. Less investment, in space and time, faster fruiting.