Planning my Backyard Orchard

Blackgold cherry and Seckel pear might do really well for you- beginners luck!

See “Rosseyanka” persimmon…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSBOenTG-yg

2 Likes

So the video definitely sold me on the Rosseyanka. I love the foliage as well.

My Seckel has been something of a laggard. Compared to my Moonglow it looks like a midget.

Seckel is a natural dwarf. It is supposed to grow slowly. On the flip side, it is supposed to be precocious- fruiting years earlier than most other pear varieties.

It is a Euro pear seedling discovered hundreds of years ago in humid Pennsylvania.

1 Like

It’s certainly taking its time to grow, which might be why it is resistant to fire blight. Oddly enough my Moonglow is the pear that is precocious as it is already full of flowering spurs.

You will not have problem with jujubes in full sun.

Jay - I am in Northern VA and have a smaller back yard than you have. I have 1 moorgold apricot (this seems to be a good variety for this area. As with all apricots there is a risk of loss due to a late frost), a burgundy plum, 2 oriental pears (Cojuro and shinko) (need to be fire blight resistant and the shinko is), 3 peaches (2 elberta, one unknown), a stella cherry (you either need two cherries for pollination of a self pollinator like stella), 2 paw paw trees (shenandoah and susquahanna), a jujube (sherwood), a fuyu persimmon and some berry bushes. My biggest problem is control of the squirrels and chipmunks who tend to take all of the fruit. I also have some kiwi vines.

3 Likes

I’m general, I’d say just cool it. You have enough to keep you busy.

Might try a pear as suggested. They take extra time to come into production, so it’s imperative to start off early. They are quite attractive, especially if you bend the branches to a more horizontal shape. So consider a way to work it into the landscape.

Berries and small fruit for the opposite reason. Less investment, in space and time, faster fruiting.