Planning your pear orchard - ripening times / Flavor

Clark- I respect Ed Fackler, got some apple scions from him long ago. In that link you post he says Warren is one of the easiest pears to grow. I thought Warren was the problem child that does not attract pollinators and takes forever and a day to bear fruit. I thought Magness was the better behaved of the two. Do I have this backward?

1 Like

Many people have told me Warren is a pain but I do have a tree of it. Magness did not grow fast last year for me and warren did. I suspect they both take a while to bear fruit. I suspect Warren is a shy producer in addition to being very high quality. I’m suspicious much of the problem is location because my warren was on callery in full sun. I think warren will likely take 7-10 years to produce but I’m already bending branches so I may cut that down to 5 years. I’m going to put more magness on 333 rootstock this year. I grafted that warren to a big callery I moved the previous year.

1 Like

Rumor is they both take forever to bear, and are best suited for placement on precocious dwarf understocks.

However, if I am not mistaken, I think @applenut got his Warren to bear fairly quickly.

Word is Warren (from Mississippi) is best suited for blazing hot SoCal or the Deep South, and Magness (bred in Maryland) does best in the U.S. Mid-Atlantic.

There are suspicions that Warren has poor pollen. Magness is pretty much considered out-and-out pollen sterile.

I have Magness budded onto both 87 and 333 rootstocks. Waiting to see what will happen.

3 Likes

Interesting. Either of you consider “ringing” branches in addition to bending? I’d like to know where on the branch you’re supposed to ring the bark- maybe near the base of the limb where it attaches to trunk? Or nicking below buds?

1 Like

I know nothing about that method.

Tried it last year on a fig and it did produce a fig How do you make those stubborn varieties produce fruit?. You can see the results on this thread Cold hardy figs. If your interested in the Warren pear you might view this old thread Is it worth it to grow the Warren pear. I grafted Warren on half the tree and Karl’s favorite on the other half. Its about 5’ tall now.

3 Likes

Wanted to give you all some interesting information about ohxf333 rootstock. I’m experiencing crazy fast blossoming and the rootstock are only growing to 5 feet or so. Once they produce fruit I will try and post pictures of fruit size of the pears. I have 3 year old seckle pears blooming and are about 4 1/2 feet tall. Our clay-loam soil is significantly dwarfing to trees.

2 Likes

What variety pears have you added to your orchard and why?

Saved pear-Altoona to keep the legacy going thanks to Phil in IA… Re-graft Harvest Queen to a more sunnier spot on the multi-grafted pear tree. Graft the real Tennosui from a friend in the Smokey Mountain. Grafting more of my creation the Korean Giant X Mishirasu which I name Korasu. Graft a couple of scions from seedling Fragrant pears.

Tony

1 Like

I grafted backups of lantia jujuli, harrow delight today. I also added a fragrant pear from china and Ayers to my Franken tree.

1 Like

Clark,

Has your order from Singing Tree arrived. Mine just did today.

@tonyOmahaz5, what are the E. pear varieties you have grafted on A pears, please? I am about to run out of room on my E pear but have ordered E pear scions that may need to be grafted on Asian pears instead.

1 Like

Not tony but I have grafted Clara frijs on shinko

Thank, Derby.

I’ve grafted a few E pears on A pear but only on a trial basis. I know Tony has grafted E. pears on A. pears for a few years now.

Just want to find out of there are certain varieties of E pears that should not be grafted on A pears.

1 Like

Clark told me he thought Clara frijs would work on Asian pears

1 Like

Mamuang,

These are the euro pears that I grafted on Asian pear: Honey sweet, Moonglow, Bartlett, Seckel, Harvest Queen, Harrow Delight, Bosc, and Comice.

Tony

I put Clapp’s favorite, Douglas, Barlett ( I think) on Asian last year. So far, they grew well all year last year.

I accidently put two apples on A pear and E pear. They have grown well, too. :grin:

3 Likes

Yes my singing tree order got here about a month ago.

Clara frijs is easier to graft than most pears. Its compatible on a lot of seedling pears I could not graft easily. Douglas is another fairly graft friendly pear.

1 Like

Who already ordered their pears this year? Anyone ordering from ARS Grin https://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/catalogs/pyrblres.html?

What are you adding Clark? I think I may just add a few ohxf 87 and let them grow a year

1 Like