Planning your pear orchard - ripening times / Flavor

Tried it last year on a fig and it did produce a fig How do you make those stubborn varieties produce fruit?. You can see the results on this thread Cold hardy figs. If your interested in the Warren pear you might view this old thread Is it worth it to grow the Warren pear. I grafted Warren on half the tree and Karl’s favorite on the other half. Its about 5’ tall now.

4 Likes

Wanted to give you all some interesting information about ohxf333 rootstock. I’m experiencing crazy fast blossoming and the rootstock are only growing to 5 feet or so. Once they produce fruit I will try and post pictures of fruit size of the pears. I have 3 year old seckle pears blooming and are about 4 1/2 feet tall. Our clay-loam soil is significantly dwarfing to trees.

2 Likes

What variety pears have you added to your orchard and why?

Saved pear-Altoona to keep the legacy going thanks to Phil in IA… Re-graft Harvest Queen to a more sunnier spot on the multi-grafted pear tree. Graft the real Tennosui from a friend in the Smokey Mountain. Grafting more of my creation the Korean Giant X Mishirasu which I name Korasu. Graft a couple of scions from seedling Fragrant pears.

Tony

1 Like

I grafted backups of lantia jujuli, harrow delight today. I also added a fragrant pear from china and Ayers to my Franken tree.

1 Like

Clark,

Has your order from Singing Tree arrived. Mine just did today.

@tonyOmahaz5, what are the E. pear varieties you have grafted on A pears, please? I am about to run out of room on my E pear but have ordered E pear scions that may need to be grafted on Asian pears instead.

1 Like

Not tony but I have grafted Clara frijs on shinko

Thank, Derby.

I’ve grafted a few E pears on A pear but only on a trial basis. I know Tony has grafted E. pears on A. pears for a few years now.

Just want to find out of there are certain varieties of E pears that should not be grafted on A pears.

1 Like

Clark told me he thought Clara frijs would work on Asian pears

1 Like

Mamuang,

These are the euro pears that I grafted on Asian pear: Honey sweet, Moonglow, Bartlett, Seckel, Harvest Queen, Harrow Delight, Bosc, and Comice.

Tony

I put Clapp’s favorite, Douglas, Barlett ( I think) on Asian last year. So far, they grew well all year last year.

I accidently put two apples on A pear and E pear. They have grown well, too. :grin:

3 Likes

Yes my singing tree order got here about a month ago.

Clara frijs is easier to graft than most pears. Its compatible on a lot of seedling pears I could not graft easily. Douglas is another fairly graft friendly pear.

1 Like

Who already ordered their pears this year? Anyone ordering from ARS Grin https://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/catalogs/pyrblres.html?

What are you adding Clark? I think I may just add a few ohxf 87 and let them grow a year

1 Like

I’m still working on my pear list but I have a bunch of callery that the grafts failed on this year due to the trees being young I need to re-graft. This is my partial list Pears we are going to try in 2018.

2 Likes

I like the sound of the saint andre, interesting the statement of it being dwarf.

2 Likes

This guide from grandpas is pretty accurate for pear ripening times but for a slightly colder location https://www.grandpasorchard.com/_ccLib/attachments/pages/GOWeb-MaturityChart-PEAR(2013).pdf
GOWeb-MaturityChart-PEAR(2013).pdf (110.8 KB)

1 Like

Does anyone have any idea when Tennosui ripens relative to other pears? How about Hosoui it’s pollen parrent? My Tennosui is making a crop for the first time this year, and I can’t find any information on ripening time. I know that it’s a super new variety. It’s sister variety, Southern Kind ripened some fruit last year in mid July here in Statesboro Georgia which is about 50 miles NW of Savannah GA (Hardiness Zone is borderline 8b/9a). Tennessee ripens in the first week of July most years. Tennosui bloomed much later than either, so I’m I hoping it ripens later. However the fruit on the tree are quite a bit bigger than what’s on Southern King and Tennessee and are bigger than what Tennessee pears ever get.
The image is me holding a Tennessee pear next to a Tennosui pear. The photo was taken in the third week of June.

4 Likes

This is kind of an old thread but I see it’s still being used some. There is lots of new information about pears I need to find time to document.