Planning your pear orchard - ripening times / Flavor

Yes my singing tree order got here about a month ago.

Clara frijs is easier to graft than most pears. Its compatible on a lot of seedling pears I could not graft easily. Douglas is another fairly graft friendly pear.

1 Like

Who already ordered their pears this year? Anyone ordering from ARS Grin https://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/catalogs/pyrblres.html?

What are you adding Clark? I think I may just add a few ohxf 87 and let them grow a year

1 Like

I’m still working on my pear list but I have a bunch of callery that the grafts failed on this year due to the trees being young I need to re-graft. This is my partial list Pears we are going to try in 2018.

2 Likes

I like the sound of the saint andre, interesting the statement of it being dwarf.

2 Likes

This guide from grandpas is pretty accurate for pear ripening times but for a slightly colder location https://www.grandpasorchard.com/_ccLib/attachments/pages/GOWeb-MaturityChart-PEAR(2013).pdf
GOWeb-MaturityChart-PEAR(2013).pdf (110.8 KB)

1 Like

Does anyone have any idea when Tennosui ripens relative to other pears? How about Hosoui it’s pollen parrent? My Tennosui is making a crop for the first time this year, and I can’t find any information on ripening time. I know that it’s a super new variety. It’s sister variety, Southern Kind ripened some fruit last year in mid July here in Statesboro Georgia which is about 50 miles NW of Savannah GA (Hardiness Zone is borderline 8b/9a). Tennessee ripens in the first week of July most years. Tennosui bloomed much later than either, so I’m I hoping it ripens later. However the fruit on the tree are quite a bit bigger than what’s on Southern King and Tennessee and are bigger than what Tennessee pears ever get.
The image is me holding a Tennessee pear next to a Tennosui pear. The photo was taken in the third week of June.

4 Likes

This is kind of an old thread but I see it’s still being used some. There is lots of new information about pears I need to find time to document.