Planting garlic in spring?

The clay in our soil causes poor drainage, so Margaret has spent years building up and amending the garlic beds. Our worst weeds are hedge bindweed, thistle, and quack grass. Weeding is very labor intensive since she doesn’t want me to rototill the beds for her, being concerned that it will slice up and spread the evil rhizomes and make the situation worse.

2 Likes

Yes, those are exactly the things I consider. Our soil is heavy, or too heavy for proper drainage. It takes a lot of efforts to amend or improve the soil. But it appears you have done an excellent job.

You mentioned all the nasty weeds I have too. But star of Bethlehem is really the #1 weed in my garlic bed. Or any garden area. I dug them and kept them in a large trash bin. They survived two winters in the bins with black plastic.

2 Likes

Not quite as big as the fall planted but I’d say it was worth it.

2 Likes

nice! i had about 15 georgia fire cloves i had left in early may, starting to spout, so i stuck them under the mulch near my blackberries. they grew more vigorous than when i planted in fall and harvested in the following summer. maybe because they only had to push thru the mulch and not thru 5in .of soil. the leaves are double the height of the fall planted ones. should be ready to pull in a week or so. if they look as good as yours ill be doing it again that way next spring .

2 Likes

I didn’t get photos of the Thai fire variety smaller with the spring seeding for me for sure but can’t complain with the late start

4 Likes

dang! those are huge for spring planted.

1 Like

Thank you I was definitely impressed with the late planting and the fact that they grow between these peppers

2 Likes

whatever the soil you got in there, garlic and peppers really like it!

1 Like