Please identify my Pear

Okay, I got something new. It’s likely a hybrid from an Asian pear and European pear. I don’t usually spay the tree, but this one have to be sprayed once the leaves bloom. The young leaves makes a tasty snack for all type of insects. Once the leaves toughen up, no more spray. Nothing bother it afterward.

So how are the pears to eat compared to others? The fruit certainly look good.

1 Like

From last year, they tasted sweet and crunchy. They are sweeter than a Bartlett from the grocery store. They are very enjoyable snack. In addition, it was harvested late like in October.

This year, the fruit mature much faster. I’m going to let the pears sit on the counter top to ripe before digging in. I’ll see if there any difference in the taste this year.

I’d be interested in buying scions if they’re available this winter.

1 Like

Nice looking pear :yum: Congrats :tada:

looks like a winner, maybe you should graft a few more in case you loose the tree for some reason.

it has very big leaves never seen this in a pear tree, that may be a good thing for fruit production.

@smilemore

May i see more pictures of the leaves? It appears it is ya li Ya Li aka yali pear

Notice the indention in the pear, serration and shape of leaves, partial russeting, quick production, firm flesh when ripe, shape of pears, notice the stem is large next to the fruit but skinny above that. It all fits ya li. Ya li leaves are always wavy like these shown. That is a very unique set of characteristics.

3 Likes

The thought of selling scions never cross my mind. I got no motivation for it at this time.

This is the one I grafted onto an apple root stock late in Spring. It’s already over 5 feet tall and growing everyday. Yeah, the leaves are still huge on the little twig. In addition, I grafted onto a bigger apple tree to do a cocktail tree along with an Asian pear.

I apparently didn’t read the title of the thread.

You apparently didn’t read the post :slight_smile:

This pear is from seed.

1 Like

If this is a seedling, it is unique. If its remarkable, this is your opportunity to give it a name you like and make a legacy by sharing it with other fruit growers. Is it worth that?`

I will take more picture of the leaves tomorrow for you to exam. We ate the round Asian pear and that’s where the seed came from. It does have fat leaves and long leaves. It has a nice looking fruit even when the fruit are still young. Last year, the neck was a Bosc pear shape and the color was more brownish. This year, it changed its color and the fruit got fatter. It likely fruit earlier this year and enjoy more sun and that could be the reason why the color changed. In addition, it’s in the 2nd year of fruiting and that may change the characteristic of the fruit.

Yeah, it does have some reference to Ya Li Pear.

1 Like

@murky

I missed the part about it being from seed. It has many similarities to ya li. Ya li pollen may have been involved. It looks very close to it. Wolf river apple seedlings look like wolf river most of the time so i would not rule out a seedling having a dominant parent.

1 Like

Here are the pictures of more leaves. This included the recently grafted tree using an apple root stock.

1 Like

@smilemore

Same frills on the leaves just like ya li.

Clarkinks, you have a Ya Li. It’s still your top pear of choice?

1 Like

@smilemore

Ya li is a good pear. It is not my very favorite but i wouldn’t want to do without it.

1 Like

if it’s an original and unique, maybe you should name it. sell a few to some friend you have made, or you could get it registered as a cultivar in the name you gave it. not many back yard fruit growers get that opportunity. So i agree with murky. sometime in the future when the time is right for you go ahead and get it recorded and get a few out their. heck you might be able to sell the cultivar rights to somebody who will sell them to the public if it’s really good pear with disease resistance.

1 Like

You are right. One day, I may be motivated to spread the tree around. The tree is still young and I’m still assessing the quality of the fruit and the tree. I’m still waiting for the days where it’s fully grown and produce so much fruits that I have to give it away. Each fruit spur will have the ability to produce up to 3 pears.

1 Like