Pls help me with mix ratios for Pinene II (Nu Film sticker)

Hi folks. As usual, I need a little help here. I recently ordered 1.25 gallons of Pinene II from keystone. If anyone doesn’t know, Pinene II is a sticker/extender made from pine sap and is suppossed to be generically equivalent to Nu Film 17.
The problem I’m having is that the label on the bottle is set up for large, multi-acre applications- meaning the instructions for mixing the concentrate with water for spraying is given on an ACRE basis instead of a per gallon basis. Specifically, it says to use “one pint of this product per acre”. TO me, that could not be any more useless information. I need to know how many tablespoons (or ounces) per gallon of water for my pump-up sprayer.

It does have one other bit of information which is much more helpful than the acreage figures. Specifically, it says that “for fruit trees, use 6 to 8 ounces of product with 100 gallons of water”. I suppose that means 1 gallon should get .07 ounces, but that isn’t much help either.

SO, please throw me a bone and let me know about how many Tablespoon or teaspoon fulls of product I need per one gallon of water. Thanks, Folks.

Kevin

P.S. If it makes a difference, I will be using the Pinene II with Triazicide today.

Hello Cityman

Here is a link to a site that will make the conversion:

http://www.calculateme.com/Volume/Ounces/ToTeaspoons.htm

The result is .42 teaspoons, so just slightly less than 1/2 of one teaspoon.

I cannot thank you enough!!! I am on my lunch break right now and wanted to take an extended lunch hour (typical bureaucrat! haha) and get in some spraying. So I was literally sitting here at my home PC waiting and hoping someone would respond so I could go out and mix and spray. Thanks so much for helping me do that- now I can go get to work. I trust you completely so I’m all set now. Very grateful!

BTW… HOLY COW!!! 1/2 TEASPOON FOR 1 GALLON ??? Did I mention that I have a GALLON and 1/4 of this stuff!!! Talk about your lifetime supply! I’ve got about 10 lifetimes worth- and I’ve got more trees than most! Whew!

That is what we have for Nu film too. 1/2 teaspoon. You should add that to our page on amounts for stickers.

1 Like

Kevin,
I was about to suggest you check the thread Drew posted here. Scott has many measurements of chemicals we commonly used listed there.

You may want to print it out and tape it to the wall where you keep all your “arsenals” :smile:

Thank you all for the extremely helpful info!!! And thanks to @scottfsmith for yet one more great idea- putting all that info into one nice wiki. I will be taping that up exactly as @mamuang suggested.

You can edit list and add Pinene II under stickers.

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing. A gallon bottle is enough for 768 gallons of spray. Does anyone know the shelf-life for these stickers?

1 Like

Nice list! Can somebody add Captan 70 WG to it at rate of 1.5 TB/gallon?
Also Rally/Nova 40W at rate of 1/2 tsp/gallon.

1 Like

With other stuff, I follow the label. With Nufilm, not strictly. I pour it into a measuring cup before it goes into a spray tank. Half of it stick to the measuring cup. I usually use more.

When I first ordered it 2-3 years ago, Like you, I was like what lifetime I could finish this bottle!!! After using it with every spray except for Surround, I do make a dent on it.

For those who need only small bottle of sticker, try Bonide Turbo.

[quote=“mamuang, post:10, topic:5378”]
For those who need only small bottle of sticker, try Bonide Turbo.
[/quote]Yeah, I see that. It’s 0.5 oz. per gallon for an 8 oz. bottle that cost $12. That’s $0.75 per gallon of spray, compared to $0.08 per gallon for Nu Film 17. It would be nice if there was decent option that falls somewhere between. I can see Nu Film being justifiable if it has long shelf-life, I don’t see any mention of its average shelf-life anywhere.

Yes, I have said it before that Nufilm is a lot cheaper by volume than Bonide Turbo but it does not come in a smaller bottle.

Didn’t someone here say that some of the sprays for limiting winter drying were the same compound and that if we could calculate the right quantity to use, could be used as a sticker?

Wilt stop is pinene. But it looks different, still you could use it as a sticker.

It’s a beautiful 55 degree winter day today and I decided to spray sulphur and nu film. I added a little bit of water to my 1 gal sprayer and then added 3 table spoon of sulphur, mixed well and added water to about half a gallon. Then added 2 table spoon of nu film. And the filled the sprayer to 1 gallon mark with water. I noticed sulphur pieces on the trees and once I was done I noticed the sprayer walls had a lot of sulphur left. It had formed clumps. What did I do wrong?

That is too much Nufilm, you want half a teaspoon in a gallon. You can go with more but at a risk of problems. I use a lot with lime sulfur as it mixes well, but with copper I have to watch out on the amount or I will clog my sprayer.

1 Like

I did read your spray amount guide. But got carried away when I was measuring and added more for good measure :slightly_smiling_face: Thinking it’ll help more. I guess that wasn’t a good idea.

1 Like

I would add maybe you needed warmer water for the spray

1 Like

I use a pint per 100 gal. per acre for concentrate sprays. That figures to a teaspoon per gallon for most pesticides. As Scott suggests, less may be better if using copper. Some copper formulations aren’t super happy mixing with water anyway. Might want to be careful adding gooey Nufilm17 to the solution. A case where less is more, in the end.

1 Like