Plum compatibility Research

Thank you for the recommendation regarding early callusing for adara and cherry. 4 out of 5 took, it would have been 5/5 if it wasn’t for the scion, the flower was already popping, I should have not used that scion. Will surely be doing that technique every year.

BTW the hollywood to peach is so far leafing out pretty good, will keep you posted if the grafts die.

1 Like

So far this year I have successfully grafted the following plum/plumcot/pluot scion wood:

Burbank (J Plum scion), top worked via cleft graft to Red Heart and Shiro J plum trees.

Santa Rosa (J Plum scion), top worked via cleft graft to Shiro J plum tree.

Northern Sunset plumcot cleft grafted to a young E plum rootstock grown from a root sucker. Not vigorous, but still alive.

Pershore heritage E plum cleft grafted to a Euro prune plum rootstock grown from a root sucker.

Elephant Heart grafted to a to Euro prune plum rootstock grown from a root sucker.

Elephant Heart Plum top worked via cleft graft to a Frost peach tree.

Opal E plum scion grafted to a to Euro prune plum rootstock grown from a seedling root sucker.

Pearl Euro plum top worked via cleft graft to a Euro plum rootstock grown from a seedling prune sucker.

Kagetsu J plum top worked via cleft graft to Satsuma J plum.

Black Ice Plum top worked via cleft graft to Black Amber plum tree.

Flavor Supreme Pluot top worked via cleft graft to Red Glow hybrid plum.

Mirabelle E plum cleft grafted to Yellow Egg E plum.

These were all new grafts from March/April this year that are growing successfully. There were no interstems used in any of the above grafts.

The following chip grafts were from last summer and are now growing very vigorously:

Satsuma plum, multiple chip grafts to Shiro and Euro seedling prune plum trees or Euro plum trees grown from root suckers .

Red Heart scion, multiple chip grafts to Shiro J plum and Euro seedling prune plum trees.

Those are all my plum grafts that I can recall ATM. I realize recent grafts can’t be a valid prediction of long term viability, but they all seem very compatible and vigorous (except Northern Sunset) at this point.

Edited, (to add items I’d forgotten).

1 Like