Plum Curculio (PC) Questions and tips

I better get busy tomorrow with Surround! Except only about half the petals have fallen.

I walked around this morning and saw a few hits on cherries I missed with the spray, but overall looks good. I did see one curc out on the edge of a pear leaf which I promptly squished. I was surprised to see it since the tree had pretty good coverage, but maybe it was already on the tree when I sprayed and just got stranded out on the leaf since it didn’t want to walk over the surround.

1 Like

I’ve switched my spray cocktail to Actara this year,
and I’ve not had the first strike on any tree in my
orchard. It’s expensive, but it works.
Although nothing really needs it,
I’m doing a second spray this morning just because I always do 2 sprays.

Here is some info from a different PC topic thread regarding the use of Tanglefoot:

1 Like

When spraying for PC will a contact poison kill them or do they need to ingest it?

It depends on what you spray. Some kill by contact, some by ingestion. Surround spray does neither. Its fine flakes irritate PC and discourage them from staying and causing damage.

I’m referring to the PC themselves. If sprayed with a contact poison will they absorb it and die? For example, adult squash bugs won’t absorb a poison. It makes them difficult to kill.

Ithey can be killed by contact and by ingesting poison.

1 Like

That is a great article. Thanks.

1 Like

I saw one today, too. But, I wasn’t quick enough - and he got away.