Plum Curculio

Annie,
I sprayed Surround with a goid coat. Still, PC found a way.

What a classic bite mark!!! Anyway, found them on plums pears and apples. So far, not too many. We’ll have night temp in the 40’s for a few days. Hope they stay put.

I don’t spray ants on peonies. They help protect blooms from other floral feeding insects. Triazicide doeskills both bad and good bugs including lady bugs that feed on aphids.

Oh no, no more bite mark on fruits. It turns out that after the 28 degree during bloom/ post bloom , I don’t have a lot of fruits left. Can’t spare any for PC to destroy. I have similar bite mark on my J Plum too

And Asian pear

I have not seen bite marks on peaches/nectarine (yet).

I have not seen lady bugs this year only saw the stink bugs several times. This is another bug that I need to get rid of. I think stink bug do a lot more damages to the plant and hard to protect fruits from them.

Haven’t seen PC bite yet this year, just a few tiny stings on an apple here and there. Got them all safely bagged up now.

If it were just the PC, I wouldn’t bother to bag the apples.

@IL847,
You may want to look into trying Surround. It helps and does not kill beneficial insects.

Today I found 4 plums with PC damage. They all fell off as soon as I touched them. I sprayed Spinosad today again. Did that 3 weeks ago. Leaves got a good soaking but fruit didn’t seem to get wet. I wonder if I should’ve used NuFilm.
I hear Surround is better but I hate the white looking trees. If I don’t get to eat any fruit this year I may have to consider surround after all.

Here’s my view on it. 3 weeks in between spray is too long esp if you did not use sticker.

Spinosad is not that effective on PC. You need something like Imidan or other pesticide.

If you use Triazicide, Imidan or permethrin, you can add Nufilm. (Imidan label says it cannot be used in a residential area). When you use Surround, you cannot use Nufilm but you can add Spinosad or BT or both for oriental fruit moths which are coming up .

3 Likes

Susu - have you considered permethrin for your peaches and plums? Its labeled for home use and small sprayers. It will take care of pc. You will need to spray every 10 to 14 days. I imagine as far north as you are you could get by with 3 to 4 applications.

2 Likes

This year is the first time I use spray on my plum tree. I used permethrin. So far I haven’t seen any PC damage yet.
My schedule was:
4/6, 5/2, 5/14 & 5/23.

Two questions:

1. Now half of the fruits are quarter size. I am not sure if I should slow down a bit? I was spraying at 10 day interval.
  2. I am expecting these plums to ripen by the end of Jun. When should I stop spraying?
1 Like

Some of thes are in front yard. I have annoying neighbor who will complain

@IL847,
Your neighbor will complain because Surround-covered trees look unsightly or because you spray your trees (with anything)?

Complain to whom?

To me and to rest of the neighbors. I have very annoying neighbor / “neighborhoods police” live across the street,

Tell them to be nice to you, bc when the zombie apocalypse hits or we lose food production if they are nice maybe you will give them some fruit. :grin:

1 Like

Your reasons are funny. I like that​:rofl::rofl:

1 Like

If you use Triazicide, you gave to mix it stronger than what the label indicates. I mix 4 tbsp. to 4.5 tbsp. per gallon, especially if it is a year old. It only has a 2 year shelf life. It also is less effective at high temperatures, but I’m not sure if that is because of chemistry of higher biological resistance.

2 Likes

Well I sprayed 9 days ago. I would love to spray again now but the pending rain stops me from doing it. Also, this past Sun night and last night was 45 F. I thought that would stop or slow down PC activities.

I am wrong (again). So many plums were attacked. Fewer obn apples and pears. Have not checked peaches yet.

:grin::grin::grin:
We can all tell our neighbors that! :rofl:

1 Like

I got really good, thick surround on (4 coats) but i had some feeding bites, one or two crescents on my canary-in-the-coal-mine Gala. They fly into the middle of the orchard past other trees to hit it.
I think i got it before it got too badly hit.
Mac has maybe 2 bites. GD and Grav none. All my methleys aborted, it bloomed by itself in 40 weather so i figured it would be a loss.
Finishing up goat pasture fencing then its time to lay down some sulfur and bag. Im going back to clear plastic. Every fruitlet in Clemsons rotted, and organza produced bite-free apples with the most horrible sooty blotch ive ever seen.
Somehow … my bearing Peach is clean (mystery yellow peach)

3 Likes

Here the curc stopped making new bites about a week ago. They made a mess right at the end though, when the weather warmed they really went to town on my apples. I should have had a thicker coat on in retrospect. Still it was all within thinning needs anyway except for a few trees.

Right now I am trying to be super diligent on picking up drops… I find a couple dozen dropped plums every time I go out, most with a curc bite. Every one of those picked up is 100 bites not happening next year :slight_smile: This step is really important for Surround users as it has no kickback, once the worm is going there is no stopping it.

7 Likes

I spray my apples with myclobutanil for CAR, scab, sooty blotch and fly specks. Two sprays at petal fall and 10 day after. It helps tremendously. I bag my apples with sandwich plastic bags.

Also, may I ask if you spray fungicide a day before you use Clemson bags?

2 Likes