Plum tree in southern CA with very little fruit

If a tree overproduces one year, sometimes they will not produce well the next. I believe that I’ve seen this on my Santa Rosa and I think that’s what’s happening on my Sweet Treat Pluerry as I did not see many blooms on it (but I may have missed them as I was busy the last couple of weeks.)

1 Like

Maybe, but my Sweet treat pluerry is loaded this year. A problem I have with my fruit trees is I have to thin them, that’s a very painful process for me.

1 Like

@SoCalGardenNut thanks for sharing. My little tree definitely looks more lush than yours so perhaps it is excess N as suggested by someone else. Wow 70 trees! :open_mouth: That’s a lot of work…but also amazing! Good to know you have clay soil and have no issues as that’s one thing I was worried about. Do you have plenty of baby plums this year? I also wondered if maybe it was from all the rain we had this year…?

1 Like

When I left the’re starting to have flowers, but Sweet Treat pluerry had tons of baby fruit. Same with my nectarine trees, I had to thin them, otherwise all the fruit would be small.
I’m in the same zone as you, I hope this helps.

Thanks for all the input. Definitely helps!

1 Like

Especially helps to know you’re in 10a and have clay soil and have no issues! As I was worried about the clay…

1 Like

GiddyUp: How is your Santa Rosa doing this year? I found your thread while researching about mine. I’m also Zone 10 (OC Coastal) also on clay soil, with a Santa Rosa growing in my front yard. It’s actually my 2nd one . . .

We’re on a typical-sized lot for our area. My neighbor was planting a Satsuma and gifted me with a Santa Rosa to be a pollinating partner to his tree. My first one had a great first year . . . but then never did well after that, some fruit but very little. In 2021 when we redesigned our yard, we purchased a new Santa Rosa and planted it a bit closer to his Satsuma. Oddly, his Satsuma has done great. It blooms before our Santa Rosa and sets VERY heavily every year.

My husband pruned my tree rather late this year and we saw very few flowers, so I’ll be looking forward to next year to see how it does. One thing I’ll be doing this year is to create some sort of a barrier to level the ground. Since it’s in the front yard, it’s built with the slope and I suspect it’s not retaining as much water as it should.

I’ve used the same fertilizer as you’re using, the same that my neighbors use on their Satsuma, which is planted on level ground. I’m wondering if the year since you posted this has led you to any new discoveries and successes and would be willing to share.

BTW, I have to hand pollinate my passion fruit as well.