Plums 2020

That’s possible. That’s why I want to hold off until I try a few home-grown, well ripened ones.

This is a ‘no fruit’ year for all of our apples, pears, plums, cherries, and peaches. We had 2 nights in a row that dropped to around 22 degrees in mid May. Also lost about half of my second year Cab Franc grape vines. Thought I had lost them all, but some have bounced weakly back. I do have enough of the other grapes in our vineyard to have a productive year, but this leaves me wondering if the climate here may still be a little cold for Cab Franc grapes. Hoping for a better year next year.

1 Like

As with apricots here - some years you get them, some you don’t.

I have 2 apricot trees and rarely get any. My pears usually produce every year. You can’t have 80 degree days in February and hard freezes in May and expect regular crops. I believe it gets colder on our property due to it being lower than the surrounding terrain. I have joking called it ‘frost hollow’ in the past.

1 Like

One of my Italian plum trees started to drop there plums. Liked the flavor, my brix meter came in two said 20 one that was softer said 22. Don’t think I’m getting peak yet though. This tree has struggled since I planted the pot from a local nursery. My other bare root order from burnt ridge are still pretty hard bet they’re better when ripe.

1 Like

Today a really soft kirkes blue cut in half the juice was coming out. Doesn’t do that with my Italian but I got quite a few of those. 3 years in ground only have two on tree. Brix 23. Surprisingly still somewhat green on inside. Taste very good and different from Italian so a win for me.

6 Likes

Is French Petite and French D’Agen the same plum?

French Petite, Prune d’ Agen, French d’agen, French Prune, etc etc are all the same. French Improved is supposed to be a seedling but nearly the same in flavor; that is the one I have. I expect there are in fact some other seedlings in the mix, that often happens with old varieties of stone fruit. Hopefully one of these years genetic testing will isolate all the different strains.

1 Like