Polar Vortex preparations?

We get excited over our buzztails here. The grandkids have grown up with the last 3 generations of the family of birds that claim the farm as theirs. We started years ago with an occasional visitor. Then a haggard looking, rotund old lady nested in our Drake Elm. And since then we get more and more birds every year.

3 Likes

Not familiar with a buzztail what is it? The only hummingbird we have are ruby throated and the occasional rufous. My family is crazy about purple martins and bluebirds as my parents have tons of boxes for each and they are their yearly pets basically. My dad feeds mealworms to the bluebirds some of them out of his hand. He also had basically a pet blue heron that he’d catch a few fish for daily out of their pond. The heron would just walk about a step or two behind my dad until he fed him enough.

4 Likes

@Gkight … we have had some awefull windy weather on and off the past week or so.

One night it blew the tarp off my ch fig protection and then all the material i had protecting it (hay bales and wood chips) got drenched with rain.

We had one nice sunny warm day this week and i removd the wet hay bales and wood chips… and let the sun shine on my fig stumps for several hours. Then i put down fresh dry hay bales and wood chips… some insulation material and tarp… and put some serious effort into securing all that. Dont think it will get blown off again unless something like a F5 tornado comes along.

Wind can sure wreck your protection efforts.

4 Likes

Buzztails is what the kids call the Ruby throats. At our favorite fishing spot on Jekyll Island there is a huge Great White Heron that walks right up to you and squawks and grumbles for free fish. He likes to be petted on the back. We also have a young Barred Owl who will land near you and supervise. And follow you while hoping around the trees. He really puts a hurting on the rodents too. Lastly people say I’m Lord of the Grackles.No matter where I go they come to me.

7 Likes

Ah cool to learn the nickname. Yeah I used to sit in the mimosa tree as a kid and watch the hummingbirds swarm me, was a lot of fun. They’ve kind of always been my favorite and at a young age got me into gardening as I wanted to plant more things for them. So without hummingbirds I’d likely never have developed a fruit collecting habit. Grackles are cool birds I think, they don’t get the praise they deserve. Very intelligent looking birds

2 Likes

-20F here at the moment. I will be glad to get back to a nice, toasty +1F or something.

Happy to say that our new heating system seems quite up to the job.

12 Likes

No global warming in the Ozark!

3 Likes

About to get real here in my corner of Tennessee…

3 Likes

We’re forecast for lows about -10F next couple of days, which isn’t out of the ordinary for the deep of January.

3 Likes

This is the record low for Atlanta. Savannah’s record low was 3 F

4 Likes

-34 last night. I have potted trees that I tried to protect by burying them in some hemp fluff fiber. Hardiness trials are frustrating.

10 Likes

Low this morning of 14.7°F with the high only forecast to be 24° today and back into the teens tonight. My poor avocados! I covered most of them with fleece, but only put heat sources under a few of those.

I’m expecting most of them to be dead above ground by the end of this freeze, other than the two or three that have heat under their frost covers.

It’s frustrating because over the last 30 years these kind of freezes only have happened about once every 4-5 years, but there has now been one of them each of the three winters since I started the project, and this one is the worst yet. Dashing my hope that I’d get the trees to at least 3-4 years of growth before testing them. Maybe next winter won’t have one… never give up, never surrender!

And yes I’m also newly zone 9a… though after the last 3 years the 30-y average annual minimum is inching back down toward 20°F, it was barely over 21° in 2020 (when the calculations were made for the new zone maps).

7 Likes

Yeah average lows mean almost nothing when absolute minimums are so extreme. Sorry to hear that long of a time period below freezing but I do hope we dodge it like the predictions say.

1 Like

please dont send that east. :wink:

1 Like

When I first came here in 1993 they were migrating south in winter, I think they heard about global warming and have decided to live here year round starting about 5 years ago. Tough little critters

4 Likes

Yeah, they just reset our zone to 8b. We’ve had trouble maintaining 8a temps recently so it seems ridiculous to me to exaggerate it even further. Now another vortex taking it down to 7b temps for us and that’s been revised up about 5° from earlier forecasts. At least it doesn’t stay very cold for long here.

3 Likes

The little stinker feels like giving a better picture this afternoon:

willow2

7 Likes

I haven’t had to do the fig shuffle yet because it’s been so mild; they sit on a stone driveway and have been overwintering fine until now…debating last minute about moving them into the detached uninsulated garage or the unheated vestibule of our walk out basement. We’re forecasted to get as low (actual temp) of 6 F with of course lower wind chill. I worry more about late freeze-thaw cycles for everything else I planted this past fall (some hybrid persimmons notably).

so cute! Remind me of Clarkson’s Farm

1 Like

I feel for you. You’ve got a lot of energy into those avocados.

2 Likes