Potted rootstock questions

What do you actually get when ordering potted liners? That looks like the most reasonable way to get G890 and some others at the moment, and will hopefully eliminate the no-root problem. Do I need to grow them out a year, or are they graftable now? I assume I would treat them like any graft and keep them in a nursery bed a year before moving to final location. I do see that they need to be planted deeply. I am replacing dead and deer damaged stock, I don’t want to have another problem.

1 Like

Don’t understand the question. You’re wanting to buy rootstocks as potted liners?

Yes- Geneva 890 was only listed as available in potted liners at WIllamette Nurseries. I got an answer from Willamette when they were open. Rootstock that was too small at or under or 1/8 last year was potted and grew an other year, now for sale in pots. More expensive in shipping, obviously, but now two years old. And for reference, their ‘B’ grade rootstock is 20% less in cost, has a bend in it. Now to decide whether I want G210 or G890, given that some are less expensive.

2 Likes

Cummins Nursery had G890 by the thousands available. You might have to call them and order though. Not sure if their website has been released yet.
I would have to imagine that shipping of potted rootstocks would cost more than the actual rootstocks themselves

3 Likes

I saw nothing on their site, said 2021 to be posted soon. And I was not impressed by them last year, would rather go to someone who actually grows the stuff.

They are revamping their site. Supposed to already have been launched, but i guess it hasn’t.

I will say that i bought 890s from cummins last year and they were awesome. Great root structure and they grew like crazy.

1 Like

Agree Cummins has excellent rootstock. Got 5 G890’s last year and they all performed well!

3 Likes

Right now you have to call or email Cummins.
I called them and ordered 25 G890 and 10 pear rootstocks.

2 Likes

I can’t recall if it was 20 or 25, but I was happy with the G890’s I got in March 2020 from Cummins. I did lose a couple during August due I think to root rot…too wet. Anyhow, the roots were nice. I have at least one where the graft didn’t take to re-graft in 2021.

I’ve got B118 and pear roots coming from Fedco, and 100 B-9 from Treeco.

If I order from Cummins at all this year, I’ll probably jump on 10 or more G30. Tried them a few years back. They were not rooted well and didn’t take off well. But, I like the tree once it begins to put on fruit spurs. Will see if any bloom for first time this year. It’s obvious they are faster to fruit than M7 and M111. I hope G890 is precocious too, but we will see, none of the 2019 or 2020 grafts have any buds that will bloom in 2021.

Numerous 2019 grafts onto B-9 will bloom and maybe I’ll get a fruit or two in 2021.

1 Like

@franc1969

Typically Williamette like Copenhaven are for very large orders of hundreds or thousands of rootstock trees. I’m assuming you need a great deal of trees. You can compare both using info from the following links. Both are highly respected nurseries. Smaller rootstock orders are usually handled by Cummins

http://willamettenurseries.com/

If apples are your thing scions and rootstock might be available here

https://www.nwcider.com/

I did get apple rootstock from Willamette last year. They were awesome. Generic apple, don’t remember but probably northern spy, and MM111. What MM111 sent by others here was also great, grafted well.
G890 was awful in 2020, tried again 2021 and shouldn’t have bothered. I ended up with bad rootstock again- both times from Cummins and won’t buy from them any more. No roots, most died. Was going to add cut g890 tops to generic root to try that, did not get enough to really experiment.

1 Like

Sorry to hear you got bad rootstock 2 years in a row from Cummins. I’ve never gotten bad rootstock from them. I’m 250 for 250 from them in the last 18 months. I’ve gotten g890, g41 and g969 from them and the “worst” ones were g41.

1 Like

@franc1969

That shocks me that you had that experience with cummins. That is nothing like my experiences with them. Williamette I think very highly of as well. There are no names I mentioned that I have not had good luck with. Sometimes our suppliers are ofcourse not in charge of what their suppliers provide. Lawyers nursery I dealt with many times before they went out of business. Once they sent me autumn olive instead of goumi. Let’s say I was a little more than shocked. Don’t laugh to hard I smile a bit at my post myself Goumi fruit . We all have had a bad experience here and there so we know how you feel. Once someone crosses us for whatever reason we don’t forget. You gave them 2 years that’s enough. Glad your Williamette dealings have been very good closer to my own. Great nursery! Back to your question growing something in the ground a year or more is always better in Kansas. Liners are not meant to be field planted in my experience. Deer , vole, and rabbit damage will continue to happen until you build cages around them. Apples are everything’s favorite they won’t make it without protection of hail screen cages or chicken wire or better.

1 Like

I probably have gotten the best rootstocks from Burnt Ridge. But, last year they raised prices 50% on stuff in my ‘shopping cart’ and I ordered from TREECO instead!

1 Like