Propagating cane fruits by root cuttings

Hi,

Use a translator to read this page

if you need a lot of raspberry plant, this is the best method

1 Like

I understand that some patient holders like Proven Winners and Monrovia aggressively enforce their patents on plant material. I don’t blame them. Hope U of Ark does the same thing.

Don’t think it’s smart or good form to demonstrate how to propagate patented varieties on You Tube

Most of the two acres of Backberries that I grow are patented by the University of Arkansas and their varieties have had a big impact on my success selling blackberries that customers really like.

I saw a bunch of patented plant material for sale on the internet and and I sent an inquiry to U of A to let them know.

I’m not talking about a homeowner rooting a few cuttings but people selling large amounts of stolen plant material

2 Likes

@TNHunter from what i recall, the cold storage time is supposed to occur after the roots are cut/damaged during collection. the suggestion was that this cold storage time increases viability of cuttings. i have no experience with this though and it is the first time i have come across this info. also, it is likely to differ to some degree with variety.

@AlexanderMeander … I think @krismoriah is trying that with illini roots (from a different source)… hopefully he will let us know the results.

My illini tops have rosette (double blossom)… a fungal disease issue… it reduces the fruiting some. Probably 20-30-40%… depending on how wet the spring is… but I still get lots of nice berries.

Because of that… i cant really prop them by tip rooting, air layer, or cane cuttings… but might be able to prop disease free by root cuttings.

Many of the older varieties of blackberry are prone to getting rosette… they catch it from wild berries … or wild blackberies carry it and it spreads to your tame berries from them.

I have wild blackberries all over… so even if i prop disease free plants… not sure how long they would remain disease free.

Illini berries from last year. Really nice berries.

2 Likes

I’ve read an article by the North American Raspberry & Blackberry Association where they DNA tested several differents cultivars, here’s the link:

Last year I’ve layered a branch of my young thornless Boysen on the ground, I separated the shots last month, I hope they’ll grow well.

I also tried my luck with root cuttings, I damaged the outer layer with a knife, I hope to get some thorned shoots out of it.

Actually the article was by Kim Hummer and her staff at NCGR Corvallis in 2019. It is based on a journal article they published a few years back. The methods in that study and many like it have proven to be faulty.

That seems to be true of only one cultivar of cutleaf blackberry which was a chimera of both thorny and thornless tissue. All other thornless types should grow true from root cuttings.

Provided they are true thornless breeds. However, one can find “thornless” berries sold online, in box stores, and individual nurseries that are the result of hormone treatments to otherwise thorny cultivars. The hormone effect fades over time and is often not present in root sprouts.