Propagating Carmine Jewel Cherries

I plan on doing this to the rootstock part that I cut off when grafting. They would all get tossed anyway.

Drew what is this stuff?

Diatomaceous earth the size of perlite, in place of perlite. I like it better for numerous reasons. Holds 120% of it’s weight in water. Holds air otherwise. So your mix can hold more water, yet still drain well.
It lasts indefinitely, will retain it shape and hardness freezing and thawing. Perlite lasts about 5 years. I recycle into my raised beds, so it keeps working for me. The pores are large enough roots can grow into them. Disney uses DE in it’s gardens.
I use 1 part Promix in my soil mixes, so some perlite is also in my mixes. I have to make my own, I use a lot each year… Buying actual Horticultural DE is too expensive I use Optisorb or Napa Floor Dry both 100% DE. Always check though, as other products look similar. I think it’s a superior oil absorbent over the clay stuff too. I would love to find a source of the large particle size stuff. That would be even better I think.
The use of DE in home gardens is not happening, not sure why? It is used in commercial applications. Used in ballparks so they can absorb large amounts of rain without puddling occurring.Clay is also used. Turface is one of the clay products. I think DE works slightly better.

6 Likes

Just an update on my K86. My one root cutting (that was actually a watersprout) has a leaf shooting out…but my other actual root cuttings are still just sitting there. I was getting antsy so i dug one out with a spoon and washed it off…to my surprise there was one feeder root growing! tiny yes, but a sign that i might be getting something to happen. Mine are in sand/under a plastic dome (so they get diffused light) and kept moist. My temp gauge inside it ranges between 70F and 80F.

I’ll get some pics once i see more progress (hopefully).

3 Likes

I’m trying the colder method. I have mine in coarse sand that I even sifted and put in pots outside in the cold. I did take them in the garage for freezing cold 14 deg weather. Today was going to be cloudy with rain but it got sunny. I left them out in the driveway to catch last nights rain but then they got sunny warm mid 60’s, oops! The idea is that it will be a slow process so the cuttings will have time to callous and grow roots as the buds are breaking. I have them on the north side of the house normally where the sun doesn’t shine directly on them.

Root cuttings I took today. Stuck them in 50/50 DE and promix. They are in my garage over bottom heat set at 75f. How long till I should see growth?

1 Like

Has anyone been getting their cuttings to root? Mine are still alive sitting in coarse sand in the driveway. They are just starting to get green buds. I should know if they keep on growing after the first set of leaves. I did put them in the garage for a while when it was raining almost every day. I didn’t want them to rot.

1 Like

I forgot to comment yesterday…i pulled my 10 or so root cuttings out yesterday…not a thing was happening. These were root pieces from krymsk 86…about pencil thickness. Not sure…maybe i need a mist system…maybe root hormone.

I did have what was probably a small sucker that is still growing nicely…has put out more leaves. So i got something.

I’m anxious to see what happens. The bushes I took them from are just ahead of them with leaves poking out about 1/4". They are in full sun though. I have a bunch of cuttings in pots of rose of Sharron too. They still have tight buds, and the seedlings have swallow green buds. If this works I’ll have nine more cherry bushes!

How are those rose of Sharon looking? Mine are starting to really leaf out.

1 Like

They look great! They all are alive. They are behind yours but we are just starting to get leaves on trees here.They all have swollen green buds and will leaf out soon. The tulips are getting ready to open and I saw my first dandelion to let you know where I;m at as far as spring.

1 Like

Glad they made it, rose of Sharon are slow to wake up.

2 Likes

Here is what they look like after a month or so.

Hoping they take. If they do it will be easy way to propagate them.

1 Like

I had to peek, root cuttings sending up shoots, didnt dig them all up but 2 for 2 of the ones I checked. No roots forming yet but many callus areas. Medium was getting a bit dry so I soaked it good and stuck them back on the heat mat. I reduced the temp from 85 to 77 and they are still in my garage where ambient temps are around 50F.

3 Likes

I was thinking that next year I might dig down next to the mother plant a sever a root and see if it might force it to sucker

What about just starting them from seed? I might do that…i have so much better luck with seedlings.

I believe Clark said he had never got one to come up from seed

I planted about 100 CJ seeds under my apple tree last fall, buried them about an inch down. They are coming up now. Ill snap a pic of them sometime and post it here. They are all about 1 inch tall. Not sure if I should let them grow in this location or dig them up and transplant them into a better spot or containers maybe.

1 Like

It will be nice to know how they compare to the original Carmine Jewel. Will you use them as rootstock or grow them to fruiting.

Glad to hear that. Do you think they were cross pollinated with another cherry, should be great for rootstock!