Propagating Carmine Jewel Cherries

Will you grow them out to seed what the fruit is like?

Ill probably grow them a year or two and transplant them somewhere on public land. Theres a stream near my house where ive put a few things that seem to be doing well.

cool… if anything those things should be huge bird magnets for wildlife.

Seedlings aren’t an issue until they start outgrowing those 1 gallon pots…which can happen pretty quick. I have some cots from this spring that are almost ready to be potted to a bigger size…

3 Likes

cj seedlings doing well…

7 Likes

I bet they have roots! They look really good.

2 Likes

Info from a study rooting cherry hardwood cuttings. Some may find it interesting… Not CJ specifically tho
http://horttech.ashspublications.org/content/19/2/254.full

2 Likes

Made the mistake of watering my CJ root cuttings and moving them outside. Many were starting to break the surface but they havent done anything for a few weeks now. Dug them up and on many the new growth was rotting and they arent looking good. I washed off all the peat mixture and put them in plain coarse sand for now. It was already damp so I didnt add any additional water. Hopefully some survive. This is probably the best luck I have had propagation CJ’s tho. Root cuttings grow great, as long as you dont kill them with too much love…

4 Likes

My root cuttings never did anything but that was my first attempt at propagation with root cuttings, I’m sure the failure is on me.

My cuttings are still doing fine. I didn’t let them take all the rain that the last two day storm gave us. I put them in the garage for a couple days. I have left them out in other weather. I water them though sometimes. I pulled one out to look at it. I didn’t see any roots, but they could of ripped right off when I pulled on it. The bottom of the cutting was callused almost completely with a almost clear tissue about 1/8" thick. If no roots were there I think it or they are ready to grow. They have been growing leaves at a slow pace, but not to far behind the mother bush which was planted this year.I think if they start growing faster they will be rooted. They have been growing for several weeks now. You can check my posts with days from the times I posted different stages. This cold processes gives them a long time to callous and grow roots. Mike mentions that you can’t transplant them till around July and hes south so probably August for me. He says the roots will be to tender to move them. I am worried a bit with the heat wave coming. We will be in the eighties with lows as high as in the sixties. I wonder if I should keep them in the garage or let them go for it.

Are the root cuttings growing leaves?

Yes mine had leaves. They seem not so happy since i transplanted them tho… hopefully they recover.

1 Like

I stuck a couple of Juliet sticks deep in some garden dirt when I was grafting a few weeks ago. I pulled one up and it had callous on the cut end

1 Like

I’m going to do a couple air layers. My green quit growing on my cuttings so I’m getting worried.

Almost all my root cuttings flagged and died early on after they leafed out. My rooted softwood cuttings from last summer are doing well though.

1 Like

Juliet root cuttings poking through…

8 Likes

Most of my bush cherries haven’t suckered much at all. But one in particular keeps throwing them off. Last summer, I transplanted 2 decent sized ones. They wilted for a while at the time, but pulled through and the larger bush has a few fruit on it this year.

The main difference in how I treated this mother plant is that I forgot to take it out of a 1 gallon pot. It rooted through the bottom and was pretty firmly attached by the time I found it. I figured that I’d just leave it that way. So, after 2-3 year (I think), it started to send up good sized plants. When I checked last week, I found 3+ good sized suckers.

4 Likes

My CJ cuttings have callused but just arent rooting. Ive found that Juliet is relatively easy to root, Romeo is moderately hard and CJ just wont for me. Not sure what the issue is. Any tips/trick would be appreciated!

2 Likes

I’ll be taking some cuttings next week and I’ll report the results.

1 Like

In February I replanted several of my Romance Series cherries to a different location (all one-year-old plants, they didn’t do well too close to a neighbor’s large pepper trees). Later in the spring one of the Romeos grew from a remaining piece of root at the old location.

2 Likes

You could try air layers. You can’t make a ton of plants but if it works you start with a decent sized plant. I’m going to post photos of some air layers I did on figs and honeyberries later in the week.

2 Likes