Propagating currants and gooseberries from cuttings - when and how best done?

These were black currant cuttings taken probably in February, and stuck in an air-pruning bed. Not all of the ones I put in there took, but this is how much those little six inch sticks grew during the year. I transplanted them into their garden spots in November.

6 Likes

What kind of soil do you have? That can make a big difference when rooting cuttings.

1 Like

mostly clay with some loam in the upper 6in. mulching well helps keep the moisture around the cuttings. putting them out this time of year keeps them from sprouting while they put all their energy into rooting. we get deep frosts over winter and they still root well.

2 Likes

Like others said. Ribes are quite easy to root.

I would advise against the “greenhouse” approach right now.

Likely now your currants don’t have leaves. They are dormant. If you take cuttings now, we call those (dormant) hardwood cuttings. If you keep these dormant hardwood cuttings in to warm a place, they can start to “wake up” and produce leaves before they have sufficient roots.

If your taking a cutting with leaves attached (summer /softwood cutting). It is usually wise to keep them in a high humidity spot. like a make shift rooting “greenhouse” from a plastic bag or something like that. Do keep in mind though that lack of airflow/high humidity can promote rot and fungus.

Ribes hardwood cuttings usually root fine if you just stick dormant pruning’s in the soil next to the plant outside. Where the winter rains keep them more than wet enough to not dry out before they have roots.

3 Likes