Propagating Fig Cuttings

Update, I moved all of my plastic containers outside after killing one red spider in one trunk. I really don’t know how it get in there in the first place. So now I only have 3 fig pops inside.
Some buds are swelling, more than a few days ago, maybe that’s sign of life in there. The grafting of I-258 and Violetta seems to be selling as well, either that it’s my imagination. But checking on my fig babies everyday for progress is fun.
What’s better way to spend my winter here, lol.

1 Like

Update. My Adriatic JH is breaking the parafim, this is the potted one.
This is the grafted version.

1 Like

I have a green fig cutting that I am attempting to water root. It looks like it has a couple spots that are starting.

2 Likes

Also new to this. Mixed in some mycorrhizae with the dirt and used some rooting hormone on the cuttings.

Here is my potted figs outside, not covered, no heat mat, I know I’m taking a risk. BNR(in red circle) is the one I’m most concerned with, I ordered for grafting, but I forgot about it.
One of the Col De Dame varieties has some mold or dead or something ugly on the top, sigh.

So far I only water these pots once, but we have rain coming and I don’t know what to do.

Bring them inside until the chance of rain is past if you are worried about rot?

If they have a well drained potting mix that shouldn’t be a problem.

1 Like

Thanks @disc4tw, I might bring them inside the California room. I hadn’t thought of that.

Adriatic JH is pushing through, here’s proof.

So far Bass is not doing well as a graft, I’m not seeing any bud, but Violeta is doing well on the same tree.
However Violeta is not doing well in the pot. Maybe it’s dying, who knows. But I’m not up potting these until late June.

1 Like

I just started some fig cuttings about 11 days ago, which I got from DAVELn17 (Thanks Dave). I hedged my bet by doing half using the shoebox method and the other half using the popsicle stick method. Just checked yesterday and the cuttings in the shoebox were full of mold, but the popsicle ones were still ok. I decided to wash off the moldy ones, trimmed off the ends again and redo some using the paper towel method and the remaining soda bottle method. Hopefully, eventually I’ll get some of those cuttings to root. Everyone on here make it look so easy.

1 Like

Last year I had some dead redos that made it after cutting off the bad part. Definitely one Florea I can remember. Not strong growth but I put the entire cutting underground except the one bud that started and it seemed to do reasonably well after that.

Long story short, figs are tough.

4 Likes

My Noir de Barbentane with fig pop method is not doing well, I opened it up and saw a tiny bud at the base. Other than that Black Madeira and White Madeira #1 are doing well both in fig pop method and in potting cup.

1 Like

I checked on the Bass graft today, it’s loose, so I opened it, it came off right away. I think the problem is uneven matching of stick size, so I re-grafted to another branch, bigger branch this time.

1 Like

Today I moved all of the figs using fig pop method outside. For over 2 weeks, they did nothing without the heat mat. So I cut to expose the Cambrian layer, dipped them in the root hormone, and planted them directly in the ground. This is temporary, if they do root, I will pot them up. They are residing where the peonies are. I think they share similar planting environment, not to wet. Let’s hope they will survive better than inside.
They are Noir de Barbentane, Black Madeira, and White Madeira #1, out of all 3, White Madeira looks the best, Harvey sent mea big thick wood.

Edit to add for today.
One fig in the pot had mold, Violetta, so I removed all molding part, poured some hydrogen peroxide and then planted it in the ground. Dump the soil in the container. This is the plant that I noticed something red on the top in the beginning.
The rest of my figs that were grafted on the Desert King was also removed to the ground.
On a positive note, Hartive de Argenteuil is breaking out from the parafilm, this one in the pot.

1 Like

A few of last year’s outdoor rooted figs suffered a bit of dieback this winter (winter low of 17°F/-8.3°C), but many of them didn’t. Finally waking up after a cold winter and cold start of spring. Here are a few of them…

Takoma Violet (no dieback):

Niagara Black (no dieback):

Conadria (lots of dieback):

Parise’s Purple (slight dieback of tip only):

Desert King (no dieback):

Violette de Bordeaux (significant dieback, barely starting to bud out):

Ronde de Bordeaux (significant dieback):

4 Likes

What is Parise’s Purple?

It’s an Italian fig, original name unknown, which someone in Portland has been giving away rooted cuttings of. His grandfather (or maybe great-grandfather, I forget) brought cuttings with him when he immigrated from Italy shortly after WW2, and his family has been growing it in their yard in NJ since then. It does well in NJ, but he wanted to see how it does in the PNW, so he’s been giving them away in local plant exchanges & community gardens for a year or two now. Parise is their family name. I don’t know much about the fruit itself, but free was a pretty good price.

3 Likes

I hope you keep us updated on now the fruit is. Yes, free is very hard to pass on sometimes.

1 Like