Propagating Fig Cuttings

These looks great Matt.

I’d like to have that kind of trouble. Brady

1 Like

i potted up my figs today. They seemed to fit just about right and should stay in these for a while.

4 Likes

Sorry, that photo is out of focus.

Look at those roots. SO Jealous!

Those look great @Matt_in_Maryland. All of my cuttings are send out vegetative growth now. If I’m getting 1/10 of the root growth that you have at this stage, I think my cuttings will have a good chance of making it.

I’m currently rooting Celeste, Chicago Hardy, Smith, Violette de Bordeaux, and Ronde de Bordeaux.

So far, my fig cuttings are looking pretty good. I don’t see any roots circling the containers yet but I had a few that were sending out roots from the top of the cutting. I’m hoping the same is happening on the bottom. I was able to add more media to some to get them out of open air but this one was too high (It’s just to the left of the aluminum tag in the center).

3 Likes

I just don’t know what I am doing wrong or why I can’t seem to get the hang of this. I should have taken a photo of mine in the bags, but I did it exactly as you showed in your photo above. I tried a bag with paper towels and one with damp newspaper. The paper towel ones completed molded and rotted. He one with damp newspaper also molded bad, but I did get 1 with decent roots and one with one little root stub.

Maybe I should be happy…this is the first time I ever got a fig to root, and the one that did develop good roots also started to push some green, so it looks good. I lined them up on a dark surface without the bags and paper so you guys can see them and perhaps offer advice. I also found out the hard way that roots are really fragile!!!

Did you use 1:5 bleach and water solution to brush and clean the cuttings before placing in the ziplock bag. Blow fresh air in every few days while check for roots formation. Potting the one with roots first. If the cutting have molds then re rinse and re rush with bleach solution and put in a new ziplock bag. All my 40 fig cuttings rooted.

Tony

no

6 Likes

Looks like there was cold damage on those tip cuttings to me. The dead material is a food source for fungi so it grows and spreads to the others. It might not actually be harmful, if the bark underneath it on the others is not mushy it was probably just spreading across the surface

I haven’t gotten to trying the bag method yet, but plan to. For now, I’ve started to have good success with the covered tray.

Here’s what I got after 36 days.

Strangely, the top of one rooted earlier than the other cuttings (at ~25 days), so I snipped it off and put an inch or two into a pot, all under soil level. Now, after 2.5 weeks it looks like this. There are still a few roots trying to get away…

Here’s a pick of a VDB, 1 month after taking it out of the rooting tray.

1 Like

That one looks great Bob. Is that from the VdB cuttings I sent to you?

I did Tony’s method for the first time,with some cuttings from Drew.A bag on top of my refrigerator and all of them are growing roots.Thanks Drew and Tony.I should probably pot a few of these? Brady

3 Likes

I’ve had lots of failures but some modest successes again this year rooting figs. The survivors are:

(1) Brooklyn White from @SMC_zone6.
(1) Makedonia Dark from @SMC_zone6.
(1) Smith from @ross.
(5) Hardy Chicago from @Bigdoug03.
(1) more Hardy Chicago from a local donor.

I gave 2 of the Hardy Chicagos away to a buddy, and kept 4 for myself.

I took all my potted figs out of the basement weeks ago, but they look terrible. I’m hoping this week’s warm weather wakes them up; they look like they might be dead! Only Battaglia Green has woken up and started to grow in earnest.

@scottfsmith said several years ago that Battaglia Green is one of the better-suited figs for our region and of course he was right.

I have a Strawberry Verte planted at my mountain property that appears to have survived the entire winter unprotected. The stem still looks green. Very impressive.

2 Likes

Matt,

Did you water the pots in the winter months to keep the soills moist. I watered my figs twice during that 4 months​.

Tony

It is, thanks! Of the last 4 cuttings I attempted to root (the larger of the two VDB and 3 Black Bethelhems), I now have 5 plants :slight_smile: But, as you can see from the dead currants next to the VDB, not everything survives, even once they have roots.

I think I’ve only got one black currant which is surviving. But, I do have a couple Peruvian Elderberries and a pineapple which look like they made it…

The elderberries I’ll be planting outside in another month or so.

The pineapple will just get a bigger pot.

1 Like

I’m glad the VdB worked out. The Poms I’m trying to root are touch and go. I think it’s still a little too humid and the new shoots are rotting. I’m hoping at least one or two will make it.

No. That’s what I’m worried about.

In the winter of 2015/2016, I watered them once in mid-winter.

This past winter (2016/2017), I did not water them. I took a risk thinking it wouldn’t matter that much. Might have been a big mistake. We’ll see…

S. Verte and B Green are impressive growers. Thought to be related. My two cuttings from you are still around, one is a rootstock, such vigorous growers they transfer energy to slower growing figs. The other is 5 feet tall after I pruned it (Making a tree form, and want scaffolds at five feet. actually I have both as rootstock as fruitnut sent BFF budded unto SV.
Speaking of grafting with hard to root varieties it certainly is an option. I’m trying a few. I want to try budding too. Figs are great to practice grafting, in some ways not so great. The would is soft so easy to cut. So much so I managed to cut myself twice doing it. Expecting more resistance! Anyway easy to work with. I didn’t try budding yet, I will soon.

Bob,
I am with @thecityman in a little success with fig regard :blush: Last year, my tray method ended up with moldy, shriveled scions.

I used Figaholic method this year with 30% success. I will try the paper towel, just to see how it works. I really do not have more space for figs but will try to look for a few specific varieties that I want before getting rid of the rest.