Pruning Pomegranate trees/bushes

It’s too bad they stopped sending out cuttings.

Yes, that’s the origin, and Dr. Levin generously shared with the germoplasm repository. The cuttings are starting to leaf out, btw, Richard. Pretty happy about that! I think it will be a good cultivar for our climate. A nice place to shop some more unusual pomegranate cultivars is Rolling River Nursery: https://www.rollingrivernursery.com/component/virtuemart/fruit-trees/pomegranates-punica-granatum

1 Like

In my opinion, Jeff is Mr. Pomegranate.

2 Likes

Yea! … But be patient. In my experience it can be months before a sufficient root system develops. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m hoping my 1 year old Wonderful gives me a pom or two this year. Last year all the flowers dropped :weary:

@hoosierquilt

I want to thank you both. My cuttings are also doing very well.

1 Like

Would thinning out the middle to allow sunshine inside the tree be more effective rather than just pruning out the occasional trunk? I’ve limited my 10 gallon poms to 3 trunks & I’ve been trying to thin the middle. I wonder if that’s best.

Pruning is needed for higher production, pomegranate fruit can only grow on new growth coming out of old growth 2 or more seasons old, then again punning too heavily can heavily prevent fruit from forming, some years you might find a pomegranate plant growing so fast that you’d have to prune the plant heavily for the well being of the plant and sacrifice an upcoming crop to do so. Now a days whenever I prune something I use wood glue like a band aid because many places in the south have a beetle that attacks all plants that are healing or wounded. I used to think dripping sap attracted them as it dripped in to the soil yet they attacked a few fig trees again this year and it did not look like there was ever any bleeding sap, to my surprise I found damage in each tree that made the tree inviting to the beetles which oddly I did not see before I had seen that the tree was attacked. I did have to cut a pomegranate nearly to the ground once because of theses beetles. Now I make sure that no plant is without wood glue if it looks injured even if there is no sign of sap bleeding. I have been using gorilla wood glue for years because of these beetles and it has done no damage to the trees, it prevents them for being heavily damaged .

1 Like

We’ll know for sure judging by how @Richard prunes his poms. He’s even more draconian with his pruning then I am! :bomb:

1 Like

All Russian pomegranates are is any variety of pomegranate that originated in a country that was governed by the former USSR, a lot of those countries are totally independent countries now. Typically pomegranates from those countries are cold hardy to some degree or another, their seed hardness ranges of all types.

Well I disagree. I think it’s more accurate to say that they were collected and named by a Russian speaking individual (Dr. Levin) whose horticultural grounds were in Turkmenistan – but his fastidious notes show that most originated in various parts of ancient Persia.

Clearly its very complicated like I know a lot of Russian pomegranates were brought in from Azerbaijan to Turkmenistan.

There is also a variety of pomegranate in Australia that they call Gulosha Azerbaijani, they say that it tastes better than any other variety of Russian pomegranate, that variety in Azerbaijan is called GÜlÖyşƏ by the locals. I have seen no proof that the variety ever was in Turkmenistan.

Russian named pomegranate.

Oh you mean the ones abbreviated like R1 R8 and so on.

No. I mean the ones with Russian names. If you look at the accession data available at NCGR you will find details of where it originated; for example Greece.

My grandfather immigrated from Austria, but was Russian, well not really he was from the Ukraine. My other grandfather came from Czechoslovakia, but it became the Czech Republic, then part of the Czech Republic broke off to form the Solvak Republic. So now I’m no longer Czech I’m Slovac. My cousin said my family was originally from Dobra. A city in Poland, and moved to Czechoslovakia which became the Czech Republic, and then Solvakia.
All of this info says nothing about me. All the origin issues with Pomegranates seems very similar. . From history it appears they are from Iran and Northern India. None originated from the various other countries mentioned. I was told no such thing as a Russian pomegranate that they came from Turkmenistan, some anyway and other nearby countries. Well no they didn’t! No such thing as a Turkmenistan pomegranate, After all we are trying to be accurate here.
This post was satire, just in case you don’t get it

2 Likes

LOL.

For further information about Pomegranate names and origins, please refer to:

2 Likes

Thanks Richard very good info. I decided to stay with the more cold hardy types in anticipation of problems. Oh I enjoyed another thread about Pomegranate you have, very interesting stuff. I have to come over some time and check your place out. If I ever get out that way i will let you know. It has been a pleasure meeting you online at Tomatoville, which was some time ago already? Man time goes by!
Back to that thread of yours you mentioned surprise at how much growers have to mail order. Yes, 99.5% of my couple hundred plants are from mail order. I like it myself, as time is money. My time is always limited. So I mailed ordered a couple Pomegranate that can be grown in my zone. Most years they make it. I still though plan to grow in a container, as big as possible, probably 30 gallons., I can handle that.
I went with Salavatski and Al Sirin Nar.
For me these plants are novelty plants until they prove themselves. No point seeking super desirable ones that could die if I lose power for a few days. I need something a a bit tougher. If these work out I may pursue more desirable cultivars.
Hard seed or not, owners of these two trees are happy with them, I’m sure I’ll be too! The latter selection is from Trees Of Joy, Herman (bass) owes it and is very well known in the fig community, if he likes it, I’'m sure i will!