Pseudo pro mix potting soil or conells soilless mix

I just ordered some and there was no additional shipping for multiple bags. $5 shipping for 4 x 25 lb bags :thinking:

1 Like

Here is another 25 lb deal from zoro:

I bought 7 bags and shipping was free.

2 Likes

That is a really great deal. That one has slightly smaller size particles than the other one I bought but both are very similar.

I’m curious to know how the DE absorbed moisture is made available to a plant’s roots? Does it leak out, does the root wrap or adhere to a piece of DE and suck the moisture out? Do root hairs penetrate the surface of the DE, or is the moisture available on the surface? Or something else…

2 Likes

roots grow right through it. its very porous like perlite but soft. eventually it will break down over the years. adds silicon to the soil making strong stalks.

1 Like

Unlike clay, the pore size is big enough for roots to grow into pores
I root fig cuttings in pure DE. and you can see how the roots grow into the product.

Yes, for sure. You can wet it first, and be careful when doing so. Once wet, no more dust.

Yes silicon is used in the cell wall. Sold as a fertilizer supplement (silicon).
Numerous studies confirm this. Disney uses DE in all of it’s gardens. Also used in ballparks to prevent puddles on the playing field. An underlayer of DE is used and then is covered. Turface clay is used for this too. Both work very well.
Studies confirm the silicon in DE is available to the plants.
The main reason I use it is for water retention in containers.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/260133195_Effect_of_diatomite_on_growth_of_strawberry

This study even though text is not available has a citation saying what citation (studies) show that silicon is available for plants in DE.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323336157_Diatomite_Improves_Productivity_and_Quality_of_Moringa_oleifera_Grown_in_Greenhouse

I have used DE now for about 8 years, I first heard of it 9 years ago from the forum Tomatoville. How people were using a finer particle for seed starting. One user grew tomato seeds in a number of mediums and the root growth in DE was double that of anything else. Later the discussion shifted to using as an amendment, and is when I started using it for that. Only about 4 years ago I started using it for figs which often rot when trying to root. I have yet for one to rot in DE. Good for people who tend to overwater.

3 Likes

Can you buy it locally anywhere? like where would one look? I found some good pine bark a few weeks ago that i used in a mix along with peatmoss. Seems like most of my plants prefer acidic soil conditions.

1 Like

Is that just a 50/50 mix of peat moss and pine bark? That’s what I use for my blueberries and they’re doing great with it.

1 Like

Roughly 50/50…i used it for a bunch of coffee plant seedlings.

2 Likes

O’Reilley Autoparts Carrie’s Optisorb but it’s higher than eBay. Napa Carrie’s FloorDry cheaper but the particles are a bit smaller. I’ve used both to root figs and add to my potting mix.

2 Likes

I got it at the local car parts place, it was 7 bucks for a giant bag. it would last me two years I think. I use it as a soil additive and to root things.

1 Like