Psylla or Fireblight

There is Asana and Assail amongst other synthetic interventions, but this is a pest that quickly develops resistance so oil is usually part of the program. where it is a serious problem up to a 3% oil treatment is used at first growth with a follow up more dilute spray 10 days later.

Commercial growers in the east are also often using Surround, which is quite effective at suppressing this pest with no resistance issues. I just hate having to use the messy stuff.

2 Likes

Thanks

For anyone not familiar with psylla here is a link http://jenny.tfrec.wsu.edu/opm/displaySpecies.php?pn=120 . Control is difficult in some areas but dormant sprays are said to help. I use rootstock resistant to causing pear decline. Harbin pear rootstock with European pears are said to be highly susceptible to decline caused by psylla.

1 Like

They are on the small side (1/10" adult) at least I know what Iā€™m looking for now.

1 Like

Thanks, Clark for the link. I have to look for them.

I have had pear blister mites. Lime-slufur at bud break has worked out well for mites.

1 Like

They are so small that my pears suffered for a couple years before I got up to speed. I need a glass to see them.

2 Likes