Purple reign

Lol. It’s our state bird… illegal here!!!

But then so is running a stop sign…

5 Likes

At last, today I was able to enjoy my first two fruits of Morus nigra in Miami, Florida…Oh what heaven!!! A 20 some year winding project/journey…Proof that Morus nigra can be grown in 10b Miami. I don’t know of any other trees in the region. I’m celebrating!!!

8 Likes

This was the last fruit this year. Hoping for more next year. Morus nigra does grow and fruit

in 10b Miami Florida

10 Likes

Congrats @chriso :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome good job! I have a seedling I hope to fruit one day here in Michigan.

1 Like

love it!

2 Likes

persian mulb bearing in october, as the grocery flyer indicates. The older the trees, the more likely to bear much later in the year

5 Likes

below is our little Morus nigra video feature, tiktok-style :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have been eating a few M. Nigras every couple of days. I am very impressed. I have been thinking if I have grown a better fruit - some figs, Baby Crawford come to mind but definitely comparable. It is the best berry I’ve grown without doubt. Marion berry may be close second but both are much less productive than other less flavorful alternatives. I now want to plant may be 1 or 2 more Nigras for more production. I wonder if Kaester is an option if I can control the size but the tree in Emma Prusch park just scares me with its size. May be I will plant 1-2 more Noir de Spains. They seem to remain very compact.

4 Likes

It is really hard to top M. nigra due to its explosive zinger of sweet and sour in such a small package.

persians, noir de spain, and black beauty M. nigras seem to be indistinguishable from each other in growth habit and eating quality. All painstakingly slow-growing and compact-growing here(las vegas), so quite intrigued to hear about Emma prusch park that had to look it up. Was hoping to see pictures of black mulbs(in usa) that are much older and bigger than our old but laggard M. nigras…

3 Likes

This is a nice photo of Kaester (M. Nigra) from Emma Prusch. You should be able to imagine how tall the tree is.

Kaester (besides being vigorous) also shows some characteristics that are not found in other Nigras - for e.g it roots easily.

3 Likes

In my limited experience in the PNW, I haven’t seen any difference between the growth rates of the different Morus Nigra strains. My multiple Kaesters are no more vigorous than any of the others. My scionwood came from that very tree in Prusch.

I think there might be individual variation due to rootstock vigor, scion vigor etc. So far one of my black beauty has been most vigorous. It’s put on multiple feet of growth already and it was just grafted this year. It is as fast growing as DMOR9

2 Likes

Wow, how could i have missed that @californicus ? considering it was posted here at GF!
Makes me wonder how old that tree is? If that was found here in vegas, it will probably be as old as time itself, haha
the bulbous graft junction looks quite intense, have to say!

we’ve grown different cultivars of M. nigra’s but never got the chance to grow kaester. Makes me think being long-lived and pest-free , the scientific community has not really bothered studying vigor on rootstock cultivars. Also intrigued that kaester can be obtained as self-rooted clones, making me wonder how it will fare in various zones and soil-types.

1 Like

Harvey of figaholics also saw vigorous growth of Kaester on Oscars rootstock

3 Likes

love this! Have to concede that M. nigra’s are evidently laggards in vegas conditions. Seeing things half-full is that we are glad that we started growing them a decade ago. Seeing things half-empty is that we wish we started growing them 5 decades ago, lol

2 Likes

My seedling comes from a huge tree in Bulgaria. Maybe 30 inch diameter or so. About 300 years old. Mine finally fruited in its 5th year. I grow in container to protect in the winter.

7 Likes

How was the fruit? Was it Morus nigra in the end?

2 Likes

Yes it is nigra. The tree it came from is famous in Bulgaria. The medicinal qualities of Nigra are valued there. It appears to be forming more berries. That photo was early in the year. The foliage is a lot thicker now. It’s doing well. A few berries came early for some reason? A first year fruiting tree. It could have been male but I’m glad to report it’s female.

5 Likes

love this! 5 yrs from seed-sowing to fruiting is pretty good considering black mulbs live hundreds of years.
have had volunteer albas wait until they’re 7 or 8 before they even started producing.

2 Likes

Great news! All my seedlings from this nigra died one by one. They were much smaller.

2 Likes