Purple yams

My friend makes a purple yam cake that is amazing! Perfect amount of sweetness. She’s from the Philippines, called it Ube cake.

9 Likes

The cake is beautiful inside too!

8 Likes

So beautiful! Are these piped flowers or sugar flowers?

1 Like

They are piped, check out her Valentine’s Day cupcake baskets!

9 Likes

Looks tasty! I’m not one for a lot of sweets, but I’d eat that.

1 Like

Yayyyyyyy

1 Like

Thats the color! Very pretty for Easter!

1 Like

@mrsg47
I don’t have English name for it. In Thailand, we use the words yam and sweet potato interchangeable (although they are different genus, we can’t tell the different).

There are quite a few colors, white, yellow, orange, purple and reddish purple. I like them all. Sorry. Can’t help.

1 Like

ube and macapuno ice cream sold here in las vegas. A bit pricey at ~9$ for a shallow tub, but the decadence is worth more than 9 bucks imo :wink:

there was a time the original creamery used asian buffalo(carabao) milk instead of cow’s milk(much like the original mozzarella) and that was the best, but that company had to shift to regular cow’s milk due to production issues.

7 Likes

I’ll have to see if I can get that near me!

2 Likes

Looks fabulous. Cannot wait to make it!!!

1 Like

I am curious about the purple ice cream on the right - What does Ube ice cream taste like? Do they add flavorings or is it flavored by the ube alone?

1 Like

Never had it, good question!

1 Like

It’s such a beautiful color, I would try it for that reason alone. Just wondering about the taste!

2 Likes

I have made homemade ice-cream with Okinawan sweet potatoes. It was vanilla flavored, pale purple, had an earthy flavor tone from the sweet potatoes, and all around tasted very good. Then again, I haven’t met much ice-cream I didn’t like. I may be a bit biased. Puree the peeled steamed sweet potatoes in a blender until smooth, then add to ice cream similar to making a sherbet.

3 Likes

ube yams are nutty and chewy, compared to sweet potatoes. But unlike sweet potatoes which are naturally sweet and starchy that can be easily mashed when cooked, ube yams aren’t sweet at all, and way more glutinous than it is starchy, which makes it ideal to make ice cream with. Ube has a rich, hearty, complex flavor that is difficult to describe, and the best way can characterize is that it has a pleasant nutty-bitter taste that begs to be sweetened, much like chocolate is naturally bitter which tastes good with sugar. If you like chocolate ice cream, almost sure you’d like ube ice cream. It is in many ways similar but yet so different!

that is a good question, as home-made ube ice cream will be so much better than commercially made ones. Not sure if they added flavorings, or possibly even coloring. I will take a picture of the ingredients on my next trip to that store. And if i find room in our perpetually packed freezers i will definitely buy a tub of that ube ice cream to “re-kindle” my taste buds :wink:
i did eat a lot of commercially-made ube ice cream when i lived in the tropics, and the ube flavor was unmistakeably ube, even though ‘diluted’ with milk and other ingredients.

the purple yam variety used for ice cream is quite tenacious, that a high percentage of ube as ingredient may cause motor failure of the mixer. Like trying to churn a lightly-watered slurry of portland cement

2 Likes

Thanks for the description, jujube! It sounds really great!!

1 Like

One of many cool flavors from overseas. I’ve also seen sweet crab, corn, black sesame, and hojicha (roasted green tea that has chocolate notes) as far as “normally savory” flavors go.

1 Like