Query-- rare citrus aficionados

What varieties are available?

Until I get there I will not know for sure. Right now they are saying Violet, Red, White and Green

2 Likes

There are a lot of diferent varieties from each color… i will continue to buy from Thailand. Thank’s! :+1:

I’ve been visited by the USDA once too many times already. If they warrant it you will be called upon to verify the source for any plant they deem as non-native to your location.

The variegated Thai finger lime does look very interesting, though…

Scott

3 Likes

I have it too… it’s beautifull!

if i was with USDA and inspecting your ‘goods’ i am probably more likely to give you a pat in the back and a nod of approval, than to turn you in, lol

4 Likes

I appreciate that…

Honestly it is not like the passiflora I was “importing” could possibly escape and wreak havoc on the lucrative Michigan passionfruit market…

(and the order had been cancelled anyways).

Scott

2 Likes

I’ve been visited by the USDA once too many times already. If they warrant it you will be called upon to verify the source for any plant they deem as non-native to your location.

Wait WHAAAAT? :rofl: I’m in SoCal, and a member of the US and local Rare Fruit Growers Association-- I’ve never heard of any home growers being busted by the USDA!

3 Likes

They did it in Maine for poppies a d currants.

Opium poppies, okay…but currants? If you got busted for every non-native fruit, that’d eliminate so many!

It’s more likely if they catch you trying to import something specifically prohibited as invasive, they might come by to see if you have a collection of other prohibited/invasive stuff. Very much doubt they just drive around knocking on random doors to ask about your landscaping.

several years ago i ordered winged bean seeds from amazon, which i thought was based in usa, so was surprised to see that it was shipped from southeast asia, Thailand, if not mistaken. Made me wonder if USDA even sanctions seeds shipped from other countries.

Maine was a huge logging state, particularly of pine. Currants carried with them the White Pine Blister fungus which spread and killed the pine trees. The state still holds the right (unless you have a permit) to remove all currant bushes from your property.

It happens. eBay and some of the other sites will happily rat you out AFTER you make the purchase. I’ve seen reports from other forums describing the USDA visit. They will impound and destroy any imported material and any of your non-imported plants if they were in close contact and in danger of any possible infection.

If you accidentally import plant material as another member described and you are worried about a visit, destroy the material but keep a record (photos etc).

This makes sense. CA is very strict about citrus trees and fruit imported from out of state, because of harm that can be done to our local citrus by co-importing insects and disease. Asian citrus psyllid can carry one of the most devastating citrus diseases: Huanglongbing (HLB). There is also citrus canker, citrus black spot and sweet orange scab.

When infected trees, fruit, clippings, equipment or even workers (!) are moved to a new area, the disease comes with them. It’s not just commercial citrus that is susceptible to these diseases. Homegrown citrus trees can easily become infected and spread disease.

CA actually has “quarantine zones” were bulk citrus are held until inspected and certified as “disease free.”

Internet vendors within should be able to show that they are in compliance with the quarantine.

1 Like

Its all for the good. RI was also included on the list with Maine, but White Pine Blister has not shown up there in decades. I still had to buy a permit from both states that proved I had no White Pines on my properties and a health certificate for each plant. 150.00 per bush.

Speaking of rare citrus, in 2019 I had the opportunity to vacation in Italy. We walked through the ruins of Pompeii and afterwards we stopped at a little café for a drink and an opportunity to cool down a bit. This place had a fascinating collection of citrus I had mostly never heard of, so I took some pictures of the various placards. I was in a bit of a hurry, so not all the pictures were great. I did try to get a picture of the citrus tree itself, but it was a bit of a jungle in there so again the results were not great.

4 Likes

And some more…

3 Likes

Last 3…

5 Likes

That is a fabulous collection! And so well explained.