Question about Knife Sharpeners

I was wondering about sharpeners like the Work Sharp Precision with the fixed knife and swinging sharpener. So as the knife blade curves the stone is changing the angle of the bevel so that seems counterproductive to a keen edge the entire length. Thoughts?

2 Likes

Seems like Edge Pro sharpener clone on steroids - same principle just different design, I think it will produce VERY sharp edge same way as Edge Pro does. I don’t own Work Sharp Precision, I do own Edge Pro, and it’s a very good system (do not but cheap counterfeit clones). After watching Work Sharp Precision video I’m not a big fan of design approach to hold and move sharpening stone:

1. weak grip, video show kinda 3-fingers grip, looks awkward.
  2. no protection from bumping you hand/fingers into sharp edge.
1 Like

Which one are you refering to?

Of all the clones that I have blown money on I found this to be the best

Professional knife sharpener High quality fixed angle sharpener fixed angle sharpening tool 0.01mm precision 180-3000# Whetstone - AliExpress

This came in second and I am going to give it to my inlaws
2023 New Upgraded Version Ruixin Pro RX009 Aluminium Alloy Knife Sharpener System 360 Degree Flip Constant Angle Grinding Tools - AliExpress

1 Like
1 Like

https://www.lansky.com/diamond-ceramic-turn-box.html

Never had a fancy knife sharpener… but do like these simple Lansky sharpeners… med diamond rods… fine ceramic rods… then to my leather belt… shaving sharp in 5 minutes.

1 Like

if It helps this cheap one I bought actually worked quite well.

We also have a thread over here we griped about knife sharpening.
Sharpen your knives - General Fruit Growing - Growing Fruit

My strategy was start cheap before going to something at a higher quality then you can handle.

Never had a problem with a small pocket sized diamond lapping stick. Fast and portable. Used to sell them like hot cakes when I distributed knives at markets and such.

I like the old fashioned whetstones. You can get great results with a couple 2 sided stones without a big investment and I’d wager it is faster anytime you are sharpening more than 1 knife versus anything where you have to lock the knives in position. Also a fun little skill to develop

1 Like

I got one of the Lansky 5 stone kits a few years ago. I like it. The case is junky, but the diamond stones are good quality. I lock the contraption in my vice to sharpen a knife. It doesn’t take very long to get the knife to shave hair.

https://www.lansky.com/sharpeners/sharpening-kits.html?page=1