Question the History of a pear or know some history? Post it here!

Comice is a FB magnet.

3 Likes

Passe-Crassane Pear

History
A variety developed by M. Boisbunel, a nurseryman from Rouen, France.

Description
The famous Passe-Crassane pear is available from December to March-April, its marbled yellow skin covering very juicy tart flesh. A large round fruit, it is sometimes distinguished by a few seeds that enhance its flavor.

Particular sign
It has a red wax seal on its peduncle to slow the evaporation of its water and thus its ripening.

As seen Passe-Crassane Pear, All About Pears on the Worldwide Gourmet

In brief
Production regions: southeastern and southwestern France, Loire Valley, Alps

Season: December to May

Created in 1845 by Boisbunel

Image from https://www.triedandsupplied.com/saucydressings/passe-crassane-pears/

1 Like

These Aussie pear descriptions are excellent

2 Likes

Hello , I am interested in growing european pears here in South Atlanta. I know it is late in the season to obtain good varieties. I waited to late to begin my research. Any advise for 8a , Noth Georgia would be appreciated. Hear is what I have been referencing among other sites. Any thoughts about this site?http://www.chathamapples.com/PearsNY/PearsSEUS.html

2 Likes

I mentioned Van Mons above Jean-Baptiste Van Mons - Wikipedia however i failed to mention he discovered and shared flemish beauty and in all created 40 varities eg bosc.
220px-Jean_Baptiste_Madou05
220px-Hedrick_(1921)_-_Beurre_Bosc
220px-Hedrick_(1921)_-_Beurre_d'Anjou
1376376069_5e76

2 Likes

@Marvin72
I would give warren and ayers a try if your looking for good quality pears for the south. Missed your comment until now. There is a great post on Southern pears i think you would like Southern Pears

Hi Marvin, I’m in SE Georgia (Statesboro Zone 8b). You have more options than I do given the fact that you have more chilling hours. Before buying pear trees, go to UGA’s climate calculator and calculate the number of chilling hours you get between your first frost date and your last killing frost date for each of the past ten years. Then average hours together. The two numbers that you need to pay attention to are your average number of chilling hours and the number that you can expect 8 out of 10 years. Don’t bother with any variety that requires more chilling hours than those two numbers. If you go with the 8 out of 10 year number, you can expect to get pears 80% of the time provided climate does not warm as fast as some predictions indicate.

Something to know about Ayers and Magnes is that both are pollen sterile, or at least some strains of them are. Magnes and Warren take a very long time to mature. The best varieties for me down here so fare are Goldenboy, Baldwine, LeConte and Acres Home. For me Southern Bartlett has been consistently tasteless even though others rave about it. I may be that I got a bad sport off that variety. I’m Trying Tennsoui, Scarlett, Southern King, Savannah, Moonglow and Olton Brousard. None of those have fruited for me yet due to imaturity. Purdue is baring fruit for the first time this year, so I should be able to give a report on it this summer. That tree has never looked healthy. The pears will have to blow me away for it to stay. I want the space for a loquat. God bless.

Marcus

1 Like

Hey guys thanks for the info … I received a Potomac pear whip through Jung Seed and I bought an Ayers from lowes. Unfortunately my potomac was "rocked back and forth " by some unknown culprit and my Ayers got black spot fungus. It is just starting to produce more leaves as the weather is much hotter and drier. Lesson learned. Will see if they survive and/or improve over the summer. Thank you again for your input.

2 Likes

@clarkinks You mentioned what “buerre” means in pear parlance- do you have an idea what a “bergamotte” in the name may mean? A few old pears listed in grin or old fruit books mention bergamotte pears, but they seem to have fallen out of fashion as I have never heard of them being sold anywhere.

1 Like

It is associated with a particular shape.

3 Likes

According to Hedrick (“The Pears of New York”, 1921), “Bergamot” is an ancient variety, first mentioned by the Italian agronomist Agostino Gallo in his book “Giornate Dell’ Agricoltura Et De Piaceri Della Villa Etc” (“The Twenty Days of Agriculture and the Charms of Country Life”, 1550) among twelve pear varieties grown in Italy in mid 16th century. The English botanist John Parkinson in his book “Paradisus” (1629) mentions “The Summer Bergomot” and “The Winter Bergomot”. The first mention of the Bergamot pear in North America is in 1726 by Paul Dudley, one of the Chief Justices of Massachusetts who wrote: “One of my Neighbors has a Bergamot Pear Tree that was brought from England in a Box.” The list of grafted pear trees offered by Robert Prince’s nursery at Flushing, Long Island in 1771 included several Bergamot-related varieties: Bergamot, Easter bergamot, Hampden’s bergamot, Summer bergamot, Autumn bergamot, Brocaus bergamot, and Winter bergamot. Evidently, pears that were seedlings of the original Bergamot or similar to it were given names that included “Bergamot” or “Bergamotte”. The latter is the French spelling of this name, and since French and Belgian pear breeders and connoisseurs were the leaders in their field in the 18th and 19th centuries, this spelling become very common. Hedrick describes pears of Bergamot type as “fine-grained, buttery, juicy, and sugary, with a musky taste and perfume.”

3 Likes

“The word bergamot is etymologically derived from the Italian word “bergamotto”, ultimately of Turkish origin: bey armudu or bey armut (“prince’s pear” or “prince of pears”).”

Bergamotte is also a german word but as mentioned above can mean different things. In one context ir means citrusy scent and distinct flavor extracted from the rind of an orange when referring to tea eg. Earl grey
The reason it has that meaning if you check webster is because

Definition of bergamot

1 : a pear-shaped Mediterranean sour orange tree ( Citrus aurantium bergamia ) having a rind that yields an essential oil used especially in perfumeryalso : this oil

2 : any of several mints (genus Monarda )— compare WILD BERGAMOT

Citrus bergamia, better known as Bergamot , belongs to the Rutaceae family, which is better identified by the name Citrus. This tree’s fruit is a cross between the lemon and the orange, giving the small, round fruit a slight pear- shaped , and a yellow coloring. Some think the fruit appears to look like a mini orange.

The pear definition can be found here Hortus Camdenensis | Pyrus communis ‘Summer Bergamot’

Pyrus communis ‘Summer Bergamot’

‘Fruit below the middle size, round, and flattened at both the extremities, about two inches deep, and two inches and a quarter in diameter. Eye small, with an obtuse closed calyx, placed in a very shallow basin. Stalk half an inch long, thick, inserted in a small round cavity. Skin greenish yellow, with a good deal of pale brown russet, and specks on the sunny side. Flesh melting, with a sugary high-flavoured juice. Ripe the beginning and middle of September.’ [George Lindley – Orchard Guide p.353/1831].

Horticultural & Botanical History

‘Bergamotte d’É’té is of ancient and unknown origin. Le Lectier wrote of it in 1628 as cultivated under the name of Milan de la Beuverière.’ [Pears of New York p.272].

Figured in Pomona Britannica [PB pl.LXXXIII/1812] and Saint-Hilaire [pl.32/1828], the illustration used here.

History at Camden Park

Listed in all published catalogues as ‘Crasanne’ [Pear no.8/1843]. ‘8. Pear (Captain Kent’s) probably Summer Bergamot, formerly miscalled Crasanne. February-March. Not a good bearer formerly but of [4 words undeciphered] does not keep well.’ [Diary B, MP A2951/1862]. Macarthur appears to have changed his mind again as Gansell’s Bergamot is written in pencil. Macarthur’s ‘Crasanne’ is identified as ‘Summer Bergamot’ here and included with Pear no.45, called ‘Beurré Summer Bergamot’ in the catalogues. ‘Gansell’s Bergamot’ appears elsewhere. This pear appears to have been obtained from Captain Kent. I don’t know who Captain Kent was. In a copy of the 1857 catalogue Macarthur kept for this purpose ‘Crasanne’ is crossed out and ‘Beurré ? Captn Kent’ substituted.

‘Beurré Summer Bergamot’ also appears in an Addendum to the 1857 catalogue [Pear no.45/1850]. In a copy of the 1857 catalogue the number ‘45’ is changed to ‘36’. Elsewhere such changes were made to align with the diary numbering but there is no diary entry for this pear. Obtained from Veitch’s Nursery, probably the original Exeter premises."
Pear_Summer_Bergamot

1 Like

According to Stark Bros The Russetted Bartlett is a bud sport developed in Yakima, Washington in 2009. The modern well known grower Doug Keithly, is said to have also developed the Peggy Asian pear etc… Doug works extensively with Stark Bros. These are a few of his most recent patents

Publication number: 20170135260

Abstract: A new and distinct variety of Bartlett pear tree named ‘Russetted Bartlett’ characterized particularly by producing fruit that has the overall appearance of a typical Bartlett pear, but is somewhat larger, totally russetted at maturity, and ripens later than typical Bartlett fruit.

Type: Application

Filed: November 6, 2015

Publication date: May 11, 2017

Inventor: Doug Keithly

Publication number: 20160044844

Abstract: A new and distinct variety of Asia pear tree named ‘Peggy Pear’ characterized particularly by the turbinate shape of its fruit, its russet color, and its ripening at about September 20th in Yakima, Wash., which is about thirty (30) days earlier than the “A-Ri-Rang” variety, and by the pear’s hardiness, characterized in that it can be stored at 32° F. through the winter and maintain its quality until about May.

Type: Application

Filed: August 11, 2014

Publication date: February 11, 2016

Patent number: PP28773

Abstract: A new and distinct cultivar of Bartlett pear tree named ‘Russetted Bartlett’ characterized particularly by producing fruit that has the overall appearance of a typical Bartlett pear, but is somewhat larger, totally russetted at maturity, and ripens later than typical Bartlett fruit.

Type: Grant

Filed: November 6, 2015

Date of Patent: December 19, 2017

Assignee: Stark Bro’s Nurseries & Orchards Co.

Patent number: PP29880

Abstract: A new and distinct variety of Asian pear tree named ‘Peggy Pear’ characterized particularly by the globose to slightly turbinate shape of its fruit, its russet color at maturity, the thinner texture of the skin of the fruit of the ‘Peggy Pear’ compared to the skin of the fruit of its parent, the ‘A-Ri-Rang’, at maturity and its ripening at about September 20th in Yakima, Wash., which is about thirty (30) days earlier than the ‘A-Ri-Rang’ cultivar, and by the pear’s hardiness, characterized in that it can be stored at 32° F. through the winter and maintain its quality until about May.

Type: Grant

Filed: August 11, 2014

Date of Patent: November 27, 2018

Assignee: Stark Bro’s Nurseries & Orchards Co.

Patent information found at Doug Keithly Inventions, Patents and Patent Applications - Justia Patents Search
Cross referenced information with google patents US20160044844P1 - Sport Limb Asian Pear Tree - Google PatentsUS20160044844P1.pdf (1.3 MB)

Great document discussing how the luscious pear became a varietyLuscious_ A High Quality Dessert Pear for the North.pdf (552.7 KB)

1 Like

A friend of mine who owns the @39thparallel orchard grows a pear rarely heard of in todays world ive mentioned before called saint nicolas. This information is for all interested
The Duchesse D'Orleans Pear. Beurre St. Nicholas
"

The Duchesse D’Orleans Pear. Beurre St. Nicholas

[0](The Duchesse D'Orleans Pear. Beurre St. Nicholas)

Description

This section is from “The Horticulturist, And Journal Of Rural Art And Rural Taste”, by P. Barry, A. J. Downing, J. Jay Smith, Peter B. Mead, F. W. Woodward, Henry T. Williams. Also available from Amazon: Horticulturist and Journal of Rural Art and Rural Taste.

The Duchesse D’Orleans Pear. Beurre St. Nicholas

The Duchesse d’Orleans is ranked unanimously, as far as we are informed by those who have tested it in this country, as one of the best new varieties from abroad. It was first introducd by Mr. Kenrick, and noticed in the seventh edition of his American Orchardist. It was first fruited by Robert Manning, of Salem, and within two or three years past in several parts of the country. It is figured and described in the first volume of Hovey’s Fruits of America. Withal, we have not been able to trace its origin, and we are inclined to think it is from Germany. It has fruited in our collection three years. The first year we formed a poor opinion of it, but we found afterwards that we injured it by leaving it too long on the tree. Our colored plate was made from a specimen grown by H. P. Norton, Esq., of Brockport, N. Y., who has had it in bearing for two or three years, and we believe thinks highly of it.

The Duchesse D Orleans Pear Beurre St Nicholas 30083

At the Philadelphia Pomolo-gical Convention last autumn it was favorably spoken of by Mr. Walker, Mr. Wilder, Mr. Ho-vey, Mr. Saul, and others; and would have been placed upon the list for general cultivation, only that it was not sufficiently known. It remains on the list of those that promise well.

Fruit - large, average specimens being about 3 1/2 inches long and 2 1/2 inches in diameter at the widest part. Form - oblong pyr-iform, slightly contracted above the middle, and tapering gradually to the stalk, which is fleshy at the base. Stalk - somewhat variable in length, from 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches, pretty stout, and usually enlarged at the extremity. Calyx - small, open, shallow, nearly on the surface. Color - greenish yellow, marked frequently with a delicate russet tint, lightly tinged with red in the sun - often a rich bright red - very beautiful. Flesh - melting and juicy, with a delicate and agreeable perfume. We have picked it quite hard and ripened it in the house on the 25th of September, and we think we never had it in a better condition; but its usual season here is the first two weeks in October. It should always be picked in good season and ripened off in the house.

The-Duchesse-D-Orleans-Pear"

The Horticulturist, And Journal Of Rural Art And Rural Taste #7 | by P. Barry, A. J. Downing, J. Jay Smith, Peter B. Mead, F. W. Woodward, Henry T. Williams

[0](The Horticulturist, And Journal Of Rural Art And Rural Taste #7 | by P. Barry, A. J. Downing, J. Jay Smith, Peter B. Mead, F. W. Woodward, Henry T. Williams)

Drainage To Fountains

Title The Horticulturist, And Journal Of Rural Art And Rural Taste #7
Author P. Barry, A. J. Downing, J. Jay Smith, Peter B. Mead, F. W. Woodward, Henry T. Williams
Publisher James Vice, Jr.
Year 1853-1874
Copyright 1853-1874, James Vice, Jr.
Amazon Horticulturist and Journal of Rural Art and Rural Taste

Devoted To Horticulture, Landscape Gardening, Rural Architecture, Botany, Pomology, Entomology, Rural Economy, Etc.

Edited By P. Barry, Author Of The “Fruit Garden”.

Edited by A. J. Downing, Author Of “Landscape Gardening,” “Designs For Cottage Residences,” " Fruits And Fruit Trees Of America," “Country Houses,” Etc., Etc.

Conducted By J. Jay Smith, Editor of the N. A. Sylva.

Volumes III - XXIX (1853-1874)

Treasure pear is an interesting variety as described here Treasure Pear. The variety wound up somehow here in Kansas very far from its home . Treasure is 1 of the pears from the 64 new introduced and 84 created in the institute pear hybrids (breeder X.Dushutina)

" ## Biological and production characteristic of new pear varieties for Republic of Moldova.

Author: Olga Pasat

Degree: doctor of agriculture
Speciality: 06.01.07 - Fruit Production
Year: 2004
Scientific adviser: Ilie Donica
doctor habilitat, professor, Practical Scientific Institute of Horticulture and Food Technology
Scientific consultant: Ion Ţurcanu
doctor habilitat, professor, Practical Scientific Institute of Horticulture and Food Technology
Institution: Research Institute for Horticulture
Scientific council: ### Status

The thesis was presented on the 16 September, 2004
Approved by NCAA on the 23 December, 2004

Abstract

\ 17x180.16 Mb / in romanian

Keywords

pear, quince, rootstock, compatibility, ecological-geographical groups, diversity, correlation, period of vegetation, productivity, winter hardiness, drought-resistance, assortment, temperature sum, viability

Summary

In the dissertation were reflected results of investigation of biological and production peculiarities for growing of 64 new introduced and 84 created in the institute pear hybrids (breeder X.Dushutina), grafted to pear rootstock. 74 compatible with quince varieties and hybrids were studied the same to quince rootstock. Root arrangement, indexes of tree vigor, terms of beginning principle vegetation phase and their duration, production, fruit quality, storage period, resistance to principle pear diseases and pests, economic valuation of pear varieties production were studied. It was established that varieties and hybrids essentially differ between themselves with tree vigor that gave us possibility to select with tree vigor reduced and re-calculation of production for unit of crown volume, unit of square of crown projection and unit of square of trunk section gave us possibility to select a group of productive varieties and hybrids with vigor reduced for intensive plantation… Terms of beginning of the principle vegetation phases of pear growth are connected with temperature conditions. It was established appearance of fire blight

Biochemical analysis of promising varieties and hybrids were offered. Good varieties and hybrids for long storage were recommended. Economical valuation of pear varieties production was given.

As a result of investigation 6 promising varieties and hybrids has been selected according to complex of economical valuable indices, from them have been passed to State testing. 2 hybrids with good compatibility to quince rootstock have been selected. Some varieties and hybrids have been recommended as potential donors of range of value characteristics."

So much great information. Makes me want to grow so many different varieties.

2 Likes

According to
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1176359
Colonel Brymer, Dorchester, England, introduced this pear to the notice of the Royal Horticultural Society in 1905 explaining that the parent tree had come originally from Belgium some thirty years previously. Fruit medium, conical, slightly pyriform, fairly even, slightly rough, dull brown-red, practically covered with russet; stem long, slender; calyx partially open, in an even basin; flesh pale yellowish, melting, deliciously flavored; December. – U.P. Hedrick, The Pears of New York 1921.

Bunyard regarded Santa Claus as a fruit ‘which deserves the attention of all pear lovers.’ The leaves turn a rich claret-red in the fall. Ripens late. – Robert Nitschke, Southmeadow Fruit Gardens Catalog, 1976.

This was originally a French variety though little seems to be known about its origins and history. This strong growing tree is upright. It bears fairly large crops. The leaves turn a beautiful red in the fall. It is named for the fact that the fruits ripen around Christmas or New Year?s. The very large fruits are conical to round. A winter pear, these have a reddish-brown skin with heavy russeting. The creamy white flesh has a wonderful flavor. It is yellow and melting. Santa Claus is a dessert quality fruit. One expert on fruit, Colonel Brymer of Dorchester, England, is quoted as saying around 1905 that it “deserves the attention of all pear lovers.”

According to
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art170775.asp

There are some delightful heirloom pears available. These are suitable for home orchards and the edible landscape. Here are profiles of some wonderful varieties.

Rousselet de Rheims Pear

This goes by several other names. These include petit Rousselet and Rousselet. In Colonial times it was often called musk or spice pear due to the taste. It was also called Late Catherine as well.

Very highly regarded, this variety is quite old, and dates to the 1600’s. It was a favorite of Louis XIV and was highly recommended by Jean de la Quintinye, the king’s gardener at Versailles. In 1688 La Quintinye is quoted as saying “no garden should be without it.” This was also recommended by A.J. Downing, author of Downing’s Fruits and Fruit Trees of America, published in 1849. It was reportedly a parent of the Seckel.

This has long deep brown shoots. The stalks are an inch long. The fruit is medium to small and ranges from oval and pear-shaped to cone-like. The skin is greenish-yellow except on the sunny side where it has a reddish-brown blush and russeting. This ripens in early September. William Prince of Prince Nurseries described the flavor as follows, “enriched by a peculiar perfume which imparts an excellent flavor.”

The flesh is white and fairly fine grained. Not terribly juicy, the breaking flesh is almost buttery. It has a spicy sweet musky rich flavor. It compares to Seckel in terms of flavor, shape, and color.

Santa Claus Pear

This was originally a French variety though little seems to be known about its origins and history. This strong growing tree is upright. It bears fairly large crops. The leaves turn a beautiful red in the fall. It is named for the fact that the fruits ripen around Christmas or New Year’s.

The very large fruits are conical to round. A winter pear, these have a reddish-brown skin with heavy russeting. The creamy white flesh has a wonderful flavor. It is yellow and melting. Santa Claus is a dessert quality fruit. One expert on fruit, Colonel Brymer of Dorchester, England, is quoted as saying around 1905 that it “deserves the attention of all pear lovers.”
According to
http://pomologie.com/poire/poire1/fpoires/rousseletdereims/rousseletdereimsd.html

"ROUSSELET DE REIMS

SYNONYMES. - Perdreau musqué. Petit Rousselet. Rousselet musqué

Origine. - Ancienne et inconnue.

Fruit. - Petit, turbiné, à tête arrondie et sans bosselure.

Epiderme. Lisse, assez épais, d’un jaune pâle obscur, teinté de rouge brun à l’insolation, piqueté de gris sur toute sa surface.

Pédicelle. Assez mince, de longueur moyenne, arqué, implanté presque droit sur la pointe.

OEil. Assez grand, ouvert, régulier, placé à fleur du fruit.

Chair. Blanc jaunâtre, mi fine ; à saveur richement sucrée, relevée d’un agréable parfum musqué.

Qualité. BONNE à l’état cru, TRÈS BONNE pour la confiserie.

Maturité. SEPTEMBRE.

ARBRE

Rameaux. De grosseur moyenne, inégaux, légèrement arqués, d’un blond rougeâtre ; à lenticelles grises, petites et nombreuses.

Yeux. Petits. Courts, très apprimés.

Culture. La greffe réussit bien sur cognassier, mais l’arbre se prête peu à la forme pyramidale : il convient de le greffer sur franc, de l’élever sur tige et de le planter à toutes les expositions, sauf à celle du midi.

Cet arbre prospère dans les localités sèches et élevées, et dans les sols légers ; la tavelure n’a aucune action sur le fruit.

Fruit d’industrie.

Source le verger français
"
Translated roughly to English
“REIMS ROUSSELET SYNONYMS. - Partridge moss. Little Rousselet. Mossy rousselet Originally. - Old and unknown. Fruit. - Small, swirling, round-headed and without a head. Epidermis. Smooth, rather thick, a pale yellowish yellow, tinged with brownish red in the sun, stained with gray all over its surface. Pedicelle. Quite thin, medium in length, arched, almost straight on tip. Hey. Quite large, open, regular, flowered. Chair. Yellowish white, fine; richly sweet, with a pleasant musky scent. Quality. GOOD in the raw state, VERY GOOD for confectionery. Maturity. SEPTEMBER. TREE Twigs. Medium in size, uneven, slightly arched, with a reddish blond; with gray, small and numerous lenses. Eyes. Little ones. Short, very appreciated. Food food. The transplant succeeds well on cognac, but the tree does not lend itself to the pyramidal shape: it should be grafted on a tree, raised on a stem and planted at all exposures, except at noon. This tree thrives in dry and upland areas, and in light soils; the clove has no effect on the fruit. Fruit of industry. Source the French orchard”
JPG
Here is a photo of santa claus from Santa Claus - Pear - Fruit Trees for sale | Order online
sancla
If your still searching for additional information on santa claus Stephen Hayes discusses it here

https://youtu.be/KrUDFtO5HwQ

3 Likes

As mentioned above http://pomologie.com/poire/index.html is an excellent resource for locating information about rare pears mentioned many times by @scottfsmith. Not all of it is listed in English so be prepared to translate the information you find.

This might Help! Mrs. G , “ Comme souvent, les origines de cette variété sont incertaines. « Bon-Chrétien » doit son nom à saint François de Paule que Louis XI avait fait appeler sur son lit de mort pour le guérir. Saint François de Paule offrit au roi une semence de poirier de sa Calabrenatale avec instructions de la planter et d’en prendre grand soin. Le poirier fut baptisé « Bon-Chrétien ».

Cette poire Bon-Chrétien deviendra la poire préférée de Joseph de La Quintinie, agronome mort en 1688, jardinier du roi Louis XIV et créateur du Potager du Roi à Versailles.

Une fois passée en Angleterre à la fin du xviie siècle, la « Bon-Chrétien » aurait pris le nom d’un jardinier nommé Williams.

Selon d’autres sources, la « Williams » est l’œuvre d’un instituteur du nom de Stair Wheeler habitant à Aldermaston, issue d’un semis naturel dans son jardin vers 1796. Il aurait ensuite fallu attendre le début du xixe siècle pour que cette variété commence à se répandre grâce à un pépiniériste, Williams de Turnham Green, qui aurait laissé une partie de son nom à cette catégorie de poire.

Elle fut introduite aux États-Unis, vers 1799, par Enoch Bartlett de Dorchester (Massachusetts). Depuis, elle est appelée Bartlett aux USA.

En France, c’est seulement vers 1828 que Léon Leclerc, ancien député de la Mayenne et pomologiste, introduisit et propagea cette variété dans les vergers français[1].“

From French Wikipedia

2 Likes