Quite confused about persimmon denomination on this forum…

Hi all:

I religiously follow (almost) all persimmons questions/commentaries/answers on Growingfruit.org but I just have to ask this question: Am i the only one that can not link 100-46, H 118, J-59, JT-02 etc… to a a specific persimmon variety? Take this analogy as an exemple: In Europe it is very common to name cars after number: Renault 5, Renault 30 and so on but here in North America the car makers never give number only to car so we know: GM Monte Carlo and Cadillac Séville. We can not confuse a Monte Carlo for an Impala, right? To go back to subject: It’s very difficult for me to trace to a «name variety» when I see 100-46 or H-118 etc.

Is there a written ressource for easily link those persimmons numbers to a name variety like Mohler or Meader etc?

Thanks!

Marc

1 Like

Type the number into Google plus persimmon and you can get the name. I did all the ones you listed and got these names.

100-46 Lehmann’s Delight
H 118 Early Jewel
J-59 Claypool
JT-02 Mikkusu

A lot of the persimmons and pawpaws keep getting referred to by the numbers after having been named. I think it is because they circulate pretty widely under the number first.

4 Likes

Hi Scott!

I only typed the number and got not much. I should have added the word persimmon. Thanks! Marc

2 Likes

To make things more complicated I believe certain nurseries market the same persimmon trademarked with different names… This may lead to some purchasing what they thought was a different tree when they already own it.

No, Prairie Dawn is H55A.

1 Like

@disc4tw Have you seen this? Persimmon Varieties
It shows aliases like Prairie Star is also Early Jewel & H118.

3 Likes

I have seen it before but forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me! Unfortunately all varieties are not listed, similarly to their pawpaw cultivar listing. It’s a good start, it just needs some work and some more data for some.