Rabbits

luckily we dont have cotton tails here. only snowshore hares and hares prefer spruce tips instead of hardwoods so they rarely cause damage here. instead we have voles which do just as much damage. my 2 cats kill dozens in the summer but i still need to put out poisons in the late fall to keep them at bay under the snow. unlike rabbits you wont see the damage until all the snow is gone. if they cant burow up and over the tree protectors they go under them eating the top of the roots. ive had a few trees that they did this to that when the ground thawed the tree just fell over. not enough top roots left to hold it up! :frowning:

1 Like

My neighbor, few houses down the street has two cats. My boy was interested in one of the girl cat. He kept leaving mice on their door steps. In summer time, my neighbor sit in the backyard and left the door open, that girl cat had never been brave enough to step out. My poor boy, the personality doesn’t fit each other.

1 Like

What a FINE cat!

We have too many coyotes here to let cats out anymore. You would think they’d be working on the rabbit population, but not that I’ve noticed.

1 Like

Yeah, we, too, have coyotes.

The rabbits are a problem when the snow is deep, but it least i can keep them out of things with hardware cloth, windowsreen, and chicken wire. The squirrels, chipmunks, and deer are all more serious pests for me.

Thanks. He was a very good cat.
We occasionally have coyote trotted by, but the coyote’s body is bigger, more likely a size of Coyowolf. Although I can’t think of any wolfs live around here. Coyotes are not the biggest threat to the dogs and cats in the suburbs ,but the raccoons are. I had to rescue my boy who was cornered between neighbor’s front wall and its front door stairs(split level house has cement stairs to the front door ) by a raccoon once. This time my boy was lucky, he wasn’t injured. the raccoon ran away when he saw me. But another time he came home with tore ear membrane, scratching injury all over his neck and upper body, result looked more serious than a cat fight. I think he was fighting with a larger and stronger animal like raccoon. This is one of the reasons that I don’t want him to stay out at night.

This old cat (almost 17 years old) saw me chasing this little guy out of the yard and leapt to action. Good cat!

First time I’ve seen a rabbit in our yard in 3 years living here, we’ve got four alley cats plus two porch cats on our block, and all my neighbors have back yard dogs, so this is probably about how long any rabbit survives if it wanders into this area.

2 Likes

Hunt them… first and last hour of daylight.

A blind and a comfy seat with a good view.

Kill them all… big ones… toss out in field… buzzard food… but those half grown bunnies… skin them (very easy with rabbit especially young ones) quarter and fry them just like you would fried chicken.

Delicious and very tender.
The taste is very similar to young squirrel and ever bit as good as chicken… if not better.

Liver from young rabbit or squirrel is very good too.

3 Likes