Raccoon

H&N Barracuda Green 4.5 mm / .177", 0.43 grain / 6.64 gram

I bought them online at Airgun Depot.

1 Like

@noogy The big ones are very strong. After reinforcing the trap, adding a bar to force the Raccoon to step on the trigger and adjusting the trigger sensitivity I thought it was guaranteed to work. I did catch one but a video shows his partner examining the door to figure out how to open the trap. He successfully freed his friend.

5 Likes

raccoon after 3 days.

2 days later…

1 Like

Welding broken… one big monster

4 Likes

Yes, I’ve had to re-enforce mine.

1 Like

Exactly why you shoot or poison them if you can. Jus saying

2 Likes

I think the pros have stronger traps

2 Likes

That sounds so cool! We had those in northern MN when I lived there.
Do you have dogs? Do they mess with the fisher or try run it off? Is the fisher very scared of you when it sees you?
I recently read an article about possums that helped me see them in a different light. I don’t trap or kill them, but didn’t necessarily want them around either. Turns out they are pretty beneficial critters, so I’m Ok with them. Skunks I wouldn’t mind, they do eat grubs after all! The downside is the dogs don’t know enough to leave them alone, and that never ends well… :face_exhaling:

3 Likes

You got this on video??

Yeah, that fisher is super skittish. Ive seen it 4 times and only gotten a good brief look at it twice. Once i was able to see it bounding away in profile- they have a very characteristic type of locomotion.

We used to have dogs and they kept many things at bay. Its been 6-7 years now though and wildlife has moved in in force. I definitely hear you on the skunk/dog front. One beneficial thing about skunks is that they apparently love ground nesting yellowjackets and will dig up the nests to consume them.

1 Like

that is definitely another positive aspect of those stinkers

I have a video of a raccoon in the trap. A second video shows a second raccoon poking around at the trap door. The third video shows the trap empty. Unfortunately I don’t have a video of the trap door opening.

1 Like

But still, that is crazy! They are smart critters for sure.

Racoons have never gotten out of my trap and they easily have the physical ability to do so unaided. In fact, they have two ways to get out and can’t figure out either one. Lift the two rings that fall down when the door closes or tip the trap over. A fox tipped the trap over once and got away. I’d call that dumb luck. But I’ll give him an A for effort.

A racoon could be trained to get out of my trap by lifting the rings. It would be interesting to see how much training it would take. When trained it could get out as fast as I can open it, maybe 5 seconds. Given hours on their own inside the trap, they have no clue.

1 Like

What brand trap are you using or do you have a photo? I’ve made another modification to my trap’s lock and if that doesn’t work it will be time to buy a different one.

It’s like this one: Amazon.com : Tru Catch 30LTD Humane Live Animal Trap - Easy & Safe Catch & Release Animal Trap for Cats, Rabbits, & Other Small Animals - Durable Light Duty TNR Trap - (30" L x 11" H x 9" W) : Rodent Traps : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Expand the picture and you can see the rings at the bottom of the door. Raise those up and the door pushes open. Stake the trap upright and coons won’t get out. On flat ground they haven’t pushed it over. Turn it over and the door opens on it’s own.

A buddy borrowed mine. He claims to have caught 200 skunks in two yrs and shot them in the trap. So it’s beat up but good for 200 more.

Mine might be a different brand but looks just the same. It’s big enough for coon but not by much.

1 Like

Raccoon roundworm is a scary parasite. Some studies have shown up to 70% infection rate in raccoons in the Pacific Northwest. If you see raccoon poop near your pet’s food bowl, right in the middle of your garden path, or on your tools, the animal was probably infected. Rabies is transmitted through saliva, so it causes infected animals to bite. Raccoon roundworm is transmitted through feces, so it causes infected animals to defecate where other animals are likely to come in contact with the poop.

1 Like

Upside w these critters? They’ll let you know when your fruit is ripe.

Downside? If there are more than a couple of them, they’ll let you know your fruit is ripe by stripping the trees of all their ripe fruit.

3 Likes

Your racoons must be well-trained. Mine will strip my grapes as soon as they get a little color, long before they have significant sugar.

2 Likes