Re- evaluating bagging fruit

Tried that last year. That seemed to slow them down but they did chew through one of them. The bags got pretty gross with moisture so I was hoping hosiery would work.

I’ve been ziplokking melons and squash for a while now

1 Like

Update 2018 season.
My nylon bag solution (see above #74, Sept 17th) worked for two years.
I was happy and confident. However, this year 2018 something discovered my guise and attacked all the apples on all the trees and I think it was squirrels.
Point is, my solution has now failed. With the above nylon heavy mesh bags, I beat the insects and diseases, but the critters now have beaten me.

1 Like

My experience too. Only solution to squirrels is to eliminate them (traps) or exclude them (green house). Not sure if animals (dog or cat) can be used to effectively fend them off.

2 Likes

I went out and bagged about 50 apples for my children to take home in the Fall. I am a Jujube guy now.

Tony

6 Likes

Tony,
I can’t tell how big you cut off the bottom two corners. You need to cut them big. Otherwise, your apples would not have enough ventilation. They could be cooked in Nebraska hot sun.

I cut them this much.

3 Likes

I did a small angle cut on both side of the bottom of the bag. I will cut them like your tomorrow. I am at a nephew wedding now.

13 Likes

Are you the one standing in the background drinking beer ? :wink:

Congrats to your nephew. Lovely relatives you have there.

I’ve found that coddling moths, plum curculio, apple maggot flies don’t fly in those large holes. The only nuisance is earwigs. Hate them.

3 Likes

I loaded the wrong photo and reloaded. At 53, I need to put on my reading glasses more.

Nice couple!!!

I’m going to try using some vegetable oil traps that Stan suggested.bb

Brady,
Remind me what @stan suggested, please.

This is what Stan wrote.bb
It’s very simple. I use small flat containers (I mostly reuse small containers from Costco bought foods like hummus, guacamole, etc.). Just fill the container with cheap vegetable oil and put it under the plant. Earwigs are attracted to the oil and drown in it. After the container is filled with dead earwigs, empty it into garbage or compost and refill with fresh oil. I try to put the container so its edge touches the trunk to make it easier for earwigs to get in. Most containers I use are plastic, so I try to put them in shade, otherwise they will be baked by the summer sun.

7 Likes

Thank you. Will try this year, too. Fortunately, I like both hummus and guacamole.

2 Likes

I’ll try that! Earwigs are a big nuisance

2 Likes

In case you also like something sweet — a few days ago I bought a package of crème brûlée in my local Costco. It’s packaged in small glass containers which are perfect for earwig catching.

1 Like

One drawback of this approach was that my cat went around the property and systematically buried each one of these oil containers in compost that was spread around the trees. If you also have a cat they might not be so OCD. :wink:

3 Likes

I don’t have a cat but there are plenty around.bb

Great pic :grin:

1 Like

Yeah they make such a poopy mess

I only had real issues with sandwich bags with my gala tree. The PC/CM go for it so badly they bite right thru the bags. Does not happen on any other tree.
Only reason i looked into the clemsons.