Ready for another drought?

No drought here! We got 5in here in the Ohio Valley rain forest last week. We’ve been here 8 years and rarely have we had to water our gardens, and never watered our fruit trees and plants. Just had a storm blow thru here in town, will soon clear out and then it’ll be 85 degrees and 85% humidity. Yay! I worked outside yesterday just a few hours and soaked two shirts, and I don’t sweat much. All this green and lush scenery comes with a cost.

3 Likes

last year we had drought, we are high desert so summers are always dry and I try to put in plants that don’t need a lot.

I do have two pawpaws and my rainwater barrels are mostly for them and the corn patch.

Polar Vortex last year, lots of damage, droughts this year started in May, lots of rains April, March. Collected enough rainwater, maybe. Here comes the worst! Hot temps started in May, continuing into August and possible later. High nineties, some hundreds watering every day. Might go to 100% store bought stuff, seriously. Anybody interested in a movable orchard?

I"t is getting exceddingly dificult to grow food. I only ge fruit from my citrus trees. 1.5 bushels of sweet lemon. 0 apples, 0 pears, 0 paw paws, 3 cups blueberries, 0 kiwis, 0 cherries, 1 pint of figs, 0 sweet potatoes, 40 pounds of collard greens. Animals got every thing except figs and citrus. They don’t know what they are. I probably got a quart of tomatoes. I have extensive experience growing “legal” plants in basement. We need 4, 13-yard dumpsters to get to the basement. This junk is what forced me to retire early and stop growing basement plants.

Couldn’t you compensate with fencing and screening? My worst pest tips the scales at 1,400 pounds, moose. Basically if I don’t fence I may as well be into feeding moose. Squirrels? Looks like my neighbor is just too good at sniping them. The one pest that forces me to screen bushes are robins, whatever I don’t screen and they like they strip.

1 Like

There no place in my yard that a squirrels and racoons can’t drop to from over head obstacles. I don’t want a dog.

A decent pellet gun would take care of those. Squirrels are particular smart in avoiding deadly areas.

1 Like