Rear-Tine Counter-Rotating Gas Tiller

What tines are best for my horse?

Your choice, either OEM tines at $150 per set or aftermarket at $50. Here is a set of aftermarket.

A web search will pull up case hardened OEM tines.

My MIL bought a new troy bilt pony in the early 80’s. Its a pretty rugged machine. Basically the same as a horse, just a tad smaller. it had multiple speeds, electric start, and forward/reverse in all gears. it finally bit the dust around 2010, needed a new engine, but fixable, and she opted to buy a new pony instead of fix the old. The new one is kind of a POS. Much reduced quality IMO. The gearbox failed within ~10 hrs of use. They forgot a part or some such. The reverse function is janky. Its a button you have to depress constantly, which is difficult to do since you naturally want to habe both hands on the tiller. I was less than impressed. The old pony is still kicking around. I’ve thought about fixing it but Im not much of a tiller guy. I bought a vertical tine power harrow a couple of years ago though and love it. It works on a slightly different principle. Great for breaking fresh ground

1 Like

The ebay tines lasted me probably 10 hrs of usage. Some got bent and the steel was soft probably from recycled scrap and i wasnt impressed by the wear at all…maybe because of the fitment…i think the ebay and cheapo ones have 3 holes and good ones have 2 holes.

I have these now and they are guaranteed for life against breakage and i dont see them needing replaced for a very long time. I got the hard hat ones…due to having to break ground in some areas that had alot of rock.

With that being said sometimes its cheaper to buy a good used tiller for cheap with excellent tines and swap them out.

If you have sand or sandy loam the cheapo ones should be ok for seasonal usage. YMMV.

1 Like