Recommendations for Hardy Citrus zone 7

Hello, I’m wanting to try citrus where I live growing in ground. A few of our challenges.

Lowest I have seen in my area is 9 degrees F. So it needs to be hardy down to around 5 degrees or so.

Our growing season is short. Last frost is late April or early May. Our first frost is squally mid October. Daily Low Temperatures drop into the low 20s typically by the third week of November.

Being high elevation, nighttime temperatures are cool in summer, usually in the 50s or low 60s. Daytime temperatures can be up to 100 degrees.

I’m going to try Yuzu, as it’s supposedly hardy to 0* and has a reported late bloom and can be used while still green.

Any other suggestions?

Your biggest problem is a long cold season that will desiccate most citrus varieties before they can come out in the spring. Thomasville citrangequat, 10 degree tangerine on flying dragon get 2-2(ripens October), not 3-3(ripens December). Changsha tangerine,

2 Likes

Yuzu is hardy, yes, but the juice might not be worth the squeeze, as the saying goes. Even yuzu will almost certainly need a fair amount of protection in your area, as the duration of the cold, the short growing season, and the dry air at altitude will all conspire to kill your plant. If you’re going to have to protect, might as well protect something really good.

If you’ve had yuzu before and if you liked it, then sure, grow yuzu. But since it’s pretty limited as a fresh fruit, I’d only grow it if those two conditions were met and you know it’d be worth it for you.

Thomasville and sudachi might be worth it in a different way. Sudachi is similar to yuzu in hardiness, but can be used at a much less ripe stage, as it’s picked completely green and used as an aromatic lime. Thomasville is slightly less hardy in most conditions, but also makes for a good lime substitute. Hard to say which one would do better in your climate. Also worth mentioning that these are lime substitutes, but they have a pretty unique flavor that’s not really classic Persian lime.

Kumquat might be worth it if you can protect them enough. Meiwa is usually a favorite as it’s the sweetest. Marumi is said to be hardier but I’ve not seen proof yet. These and ten degree tangerine aka ClemYuzu are some of the few hardy citrus with good fresh eating fruit.

You don’t get long enough heat to make any of the 50/50 trifoliate hybrids palatable would be my guess. But who knows. I think Dunstan is decent, but that’s fully ripened and in the South. No idea if it’s good in other climates or less ripe.

If you’re willing to do a bit more protecting, I’d say try Xie Shan satsuma. It’ll be worth it if a really tasty traditional citrus sounds good to you, rather then something oddball like all the above. It’s considered one of the best tasting satsumas and it’s extremely early ripening.

Whatever you get, grafted onto flying dragon is the way to go. If you’re going to protect, and you will, might as well protect a dwarf.

Wind will be your enemy as much as cold. Plan your protection accordingly. Just Christmas lights and frost cloth might not be sufficient if you have a long, cold, dry winter. Definitely plant close to the house, especially if your ground usually freezes. Citrus can tolerate a light shade like from a house, especially if you’re not super high latitude. And plan your set up so you can protect against the first few freezes of the season and against late frosts, without having to protect permanently. Citrus are slow to go dormant, so exposing them to mild cold, while protecting from bad cold, is the name of the game. The first frost of the year at 31 F might be more damaging than a frost in January at 11 F. Similar, maybe something that can double as a bit of greenhouse might be useful in providing good early heat in the spring once the danger of frost is mostly passed. Like a frame around the plant that you can drape clear plastic over? Just spit balling. Regardless, Christmas lights, barrels of water, and frost cloths ( + temporary tarps for the worst nights?) are going to be good to have.

4 Likes

Interesting. I don’t know that I’m willing to put in the work to protect a tree in winter, hence the thought of a hardy variety.

Those are the hardy varieties

1 Like

I realize it sounds like a lot of work, but it’s worth keeping in mind that if you are zone-pushing citrus, they will be pretty much pest free. Aside from some winter protection, citrus in zone 7 is as plant-and-forget as it comes.

The other thing I like about zone-pushing citrus is the distribution of work. Almost everything I grow demands attention during the warm months, either managing rust on figs, tying up unruly rubus canes, staking peppers, fighting birds for blueberries, etc. The citrus are completely care-free during the warm months (ok, maybe staking over-laden branches on young trees, and fertilizing every now and then). It’s in winter, when nothing else requires attention, that zone-pushed citrus require labor. Harvest and protecting are both winter activities for citrus. I like that. I like having something “gardeny” to do in winter, and I have much more time to do it since nothing else is doing anything.

1 Like

Trifoliate Citrus is the only true Zone 5 citrus.
Trifoliate orange - Wikipedia

The resinous seedy fruit is both unpalatable and delicious. There is no substantial flesh, The dried skins are used a condiment and the juice tastes like a combination of citrus and pine. Diluted with a neutral citrus juice it is as tasty as Yuzu or Calamansi.

Any attempt to Zone push citrus requires Trifoliate root stock. Trifoliate is a true citrus, and perhaps one of the oldest members linages, it interbreeds readily. But the cold hardiness is lost quickly while the resinous compounds are not. Thomasville, Dunstan, citrange are all some of more palatable hybrids.

Citrus Pepeda family for which Yuzu is a hybrid decendant is about the second most hardy true citrus.

1 Like

I’m going to give Thomasville, Yuzu, and Marumi a try on trifoliate rootstock.

1 Like

Marumi ripens in the fall/winter and will be hit by hard freezes before the fruit is ripe. If you can get your Thomasville grafted to trifoliate orange it will do better. Zone 7 there really is nothing out there.

1 Like

Thomasville looks interesting. Has anyone tried one.

This blog has a lot of stuff about various cold hardy citrus: Hardy Citrus: Thomasville Citrangequat
And Tough Citrus and The Mulberries Youtube channels have some tastings videos. There’s not much that looks as good for fresh eating as the stuff from the store, even if you like sour citrus. Trifoliate/Flying Dragon is the only set it and forget it option, and I’ve never had one but nobody says it tastes good. I love kumquats, so I’m hoping to pull those off. The other two I’m hoping to use for cooking.

1 Like

I had a cheesecake at a Japanese restaurant that had a yuzu marmalade on the side, and it might have been the best marmalade I’ve ever tasted. I also made a flavored syrup with some store-bought yuzu that was great for sweetening tea and cocktails. I’m optimistic about the things I’ll be able to use it for if my tree ever starts producing.

1 Like

Someone was creating hardy citris hybrids that showed up at the BYFG scionwood exchange, seems like people here might like to see what he is doing… here was his info packet… think he is on the tropical fruit forums…

3 Likes

I say trifoliate orange tastes good. Not possible to eat them like an orange. But plenty of ways to use the zest and juice.

1 Like

Trifoliate syrup is quite good.