Regional climate and fruit growing thread

A lot of people use path bark, or pine bark mulch which is just dry not composted. It can even be green. This can cause issues although I think it is fine to use. just add a touch more nitrogen. It is a lot more hydrophobic too compared to composted bark. I guess that is what I meant. As the discussion was about pine and peat being hydrophobic. Composted pine bark absorbs water just fine. Dry or green, not so much. I have never had an issue with dry soil not absorbing water. I water it very well, and get it wet.
Nothing like a long rain to moisten your mixture.

1 Like

Learn something new everyday! I was aware of the nitrogen sink, but didn’t know composted bark wetted easier than non. Might you have any description of the reason for this? Had a quick look see and couldn’t find the science.

It is just my observation using both. It’s quite obvious. I think because the cell walls are broken down it absorbs water. It can be almost powder. I don’t have proof it is. Just observation. It is compost after all.

1 Like

Look for info from Dr. Linda Chalker-Scott. She has researched the use of arborist wood chips and references bark mulch as being “waxy” and therefore hydrophobic.

I would agree with that and composted pine bark often sold as soil conditioner is nothing at all like pine bark mulch. Well not always one place here sells composted pine bark as mulch, but I prefer the large waxy pieces I get at Home Depot for actual mulch. It lasts years,

I have even found commercial bark-based mixes to get hydrophobic fairly easily.

I find that if I buy the finest pine bark I can find that if I leave the bags out for a full year it turns into perfectly composted material for my mixes. I do cut a few holes into the top of each bag to allow for water to penetrate.

Scott

2 Likes

One year i found some excellent (small pieces) pine bark mulch at Menards…i’ve yet to find it again…usually they are the ginormous hunks. That is a good idea. Maybe i’ll pick a few bags up and try that.

1 Like

Was wondering how you’re doing with your fruit trees. Are you starting to pick apples yet? Berries?

Of course, we lost 95% of our fruit tree blossoms to freezes, but had a good rasp and blackberry harvest. We’re now getting some primocane berries.

2 Likes

Hey subdood,
Right now we are picking plums (unknown variety), pears (Clapps and Red Bartlett), Asian pears (Hosui) and Grapes. On thursday my mother picked the James Grieve, a little bit too early, but the crows were getting very agressive.

Next will be the Chestnut apples (all four of them) if they don’t get eaten. Then Bonne Louise and Beurre Hardy pears, Golden Noble apples…

The unkown plum:

Red Bartlett:

Hosui:

Grapes:

6 Likes

Danke. Congrats on all the fruit, looks good. Have y’all had any freezing temps yet? I know it’s only September, but folks in the mountains out West had snow and cold weather last week. Crazy stuff!

3 light frosts here so far. more late next week.

Same frost story here, Steve. Have a few apples racing the cold to try to ripen, and some bluebell grapes trying to sweeten up in the greenhouse.

1 Like

Hello,
Last year @jcguarneri helped me develop a Google data entry form to collect ripening data on persimmons. The posting was titled:Persimmon Ripening Data - Now With Forms! It can be found for review and reference or data entry with the search glass.
We did not however get many members responding in 2021 to enter their ripening data. Possibly because the members who have valuable data may not have been aware of the form.

We are most interested in getting data from those members successfully growing any persimmon variety in the northern cooler climates with short growing seasons, so that we can compile a record of useful data that can be used to select varieties most likely to actually ripen in our areas.

I am sending out this invitation very early this year while many members are considering ordering scions, and wondering about the potential of new persimmon varieties, thinking “will they grow or produce fruit in my area?” If you are one of those forum members who is growing any persimmon variety in the northern cooler climates with short growing seasons, or you know someone who is, and you would be willing to assist us this fall to collect ripening data, please let me know.

Ideally we can identify many forum members who may be willing to participate in data collection during this Fall-Winter season, to help compile data very useful to other members who desire to gain more insight on the varieties most likely suitable for their area and climate. Please advise
Dennis Dowdy
Kent, Wa