Reine Claude vs. Reine Claude Doree?

Hi,

Is there much difference between these two plums? I have a Reine Claude Doree and Reine Claude Bavay. But I was reading on here that the Reine Claude sold by cummins is most likely the genuine article. Is it worth also having the original Reine Claude or is the fruit and season nearly identical to Doree?? Pictures always welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pretty close.

1 Like

Some nurseries now describe Reine Claude Doree as a separate variety, but according to Hedrick (“The plums of New York”, 1911) it’s just a synonym of Reine Claude aka Green Gage (nowadays also called “Old Green Gage”).

3 Likes

Stan is correct.

Reine Claude Doree = The original Green Gage. Rumor is Cummins has the genuine article… the one they call Old Greengage. Supposed to be super sweet.

There are other generic green gage plum variants out there… not necessarily as good.

Bavay Gage is a distinct cultivar said to be very good. In the hotter humid areas of the continental U.S. it may be superior and more reliable… though Old Greengage may be better for colder northern tier areas.

Oullins Gage… Coe’s Golden Drop… Pearl gage-prune… and Golden Transparent Gage are also euro plums showing promise in the humid East… along with the mirabelles Nancy and Parfum de Septembre.

5 Likes

Do you know if Old Green Gage and Reine Claude Doree ripen at identical times, or slightly different? I have a Doree and contemplating buying the Old Green Gage but don’t want the same tree twice.

I have a Bavay . I did have a D’oree about ten years ago but it died. I have eaten plums from both. Bavay is my personal favorite. My grandmother had an old-fashioned green gage, so I grew up with them. When ripe the green gage was sweet, juicy and crisp. The Bavay is softer when ripe, translucent flesh, and pure sugar, like candy.

I have a Bavay as well already :slight_smile: did you find the doree and your grandmother’s old-fashioned green gage to be different or the same tree?

Green gage is very different tasting and texture. The Bavay and D’Oree are very similar to me. The green gages are not the same at all.

1 Like

My understanding is that Old Green Gage and Reine Claude Doree are one and the same.

The problem is that there are lots of strains and seedlings being sold that are not the true original Green Gage.

Alan Haigh claims that the Old Green Gage occassionally offered at Cummins Nursery is the genuine article.

Bavay is its own unique cultivar, somewhat different than the original, as Mrs G described.

I wasn’t sure whether to buy the Old Green Gage from Cummins or from Arboreum Co, for authenticity. My Doree is from Trees of Antiquity. I am not sure if it will be a duplicate or not.

You are in a particularly cold spot in New York state. I would wait for Cummins to offer the Old Greengage. That’s what they call it. Alan says that’s the only true original he knows. This one is particularly cold hardy and should survive fine at your place.

Be aware Cummins sells other gages of various strains. Only the one called Old Greengage is thought to be the real deal. I’m not sure if they’re offering that one this year.

If you lived further south, I would recommend Bavay. It seems to do better in the Mid-Atlantic.

i came acros this old topic when searching for a source to post in this reply.

Im not sure if it’s oky to reopen this.
But if anyone is searching for info on green gages, doree/bravy/brahy this might be a nice addition.

the “origional” green gage in the EU is often called Reine Claude verte.
It has green skin and green fruit flesh.

This article (dutch use google translate.)
Goes into
reine claude de brahy and bravy and also talkes a little about reine claude verte.
It is mainly about " brahy"
https://edepot.wur.nl/412447

It says the fruit is significantly larger and the tree has larger leaves and grows faster. Is also supposed to produce easier/earlier. But still not reliably every year.

This is an really extensive source on everything greengage (google translate)
https://www.vriendenvanhetoudefruit.nl/wp-content/pruimen/reine_claudes.htm

It says, "bravy"
loose stone, yellow / orangeyellow or greenyellow fruit flesh, less aromatic than reine claude verte (origional green gage)
tree can deal better with colder climate and grows faster than reine claude verte.

1 Like